starting strength gym

Thread: Programming weightlifting during soccer season

Default Programming weightlifting during soccer season

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Dear Andy,

I've been weightlifting for about three months now, using Rip's Starting Strength method. The soccer season began well over a month ago and made it no longer possible to increase the weights, even though I gained about 20 pounds in the first six weeks and increased my strength quite a lot. Not adjusting (read: increasing) my food intake enough together with fatiqued legs (squatting three times a week in that period) are probably the cause. Soccer training is twice a week, wednesday and friday, with a match on sunday. Since the start of the season I reduced my weightlifting trainings to twice a week.

My question concerns programming to increase or maintain my strength while also increasing my soccer training intensity slightly. The last few weeks I've mostly focused on maintaining strength (and increasing the weights when I felt fit). My goal is to reach the first squad of our local amateur football club which plays on a pretty high amateur level. I play as central defender and I think I'm talented enough to get there, but I will definitely have to work hard. Soccer is my main focus, weightlifting is assistance.

Would the schedule below work without overtraining myself? Could re-arranging the exercises/individual training days make the schedule better in any way?

Monday: Strength training. 3x5 Squats, 3x5 Bench Press, 1x5 Deadlift/Back Extensions+Chin-ups (rotated every other week).
    Tuesday: Individual soccer drills. 15-30 minutes of interval and agility training, finished off with practicing kicking/passing skills etc.
    Wednesday: Team soccer training. 90 minutes.
    Thursday: Strength training. 3x5 Press, Dips, 5x3 Power Cleans, Chin-ups.
    Friday: Team soccer training. 75 minutes.
    Saturday: Rest.
    Sunday: Match. 90 minutes.

Additional info:

Length: 6'3.
    Weight: 176 lbs.

Squats: 3x5 205 lbs.
    Bench Press: 3x5 135 lbs.
    Deadlift: 1x5 242 lbs.
    Press: 3x5 100 lbs.
    Power Clean: 5x3 110 lbs.
    Chin-ups: 6 BW.
    Dips: 5 BW (easy, only did it once yet).

I appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks in advance coach!

Seems reasonable for the most part

Thanks, I'll try it for a few months and let you know it if works. If you have any suggestion to make it "good" instead of "reasonable for the most part" before I start, I'd much appreciate it.

Its good.