starting strength gym

Thread: 5-day program

Default 5-day program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I've got a friend who's been doing what amounts to a bodybuilding split routine, Monday-Friday. He's got some good stuff in there (DL) and some isolation stuff (curls and all that) and has some okay strength in the stuff he does (pulled 310 the other day). He's skinny and lean.

I'd like to get him on a better program but one of his remarks is that he really just LIKES to lift and doesn't want to give up going five days a week. What do you think a good programming option would be to let a novice lift this often? Bonus points if it lets him keep some of the vanity stuff in there.

He's taking up to 3 hours each day and he's apparently been very consistent so he clearly has nice discipline. Just want to aim it properly.

(PS. He's not squatting yet!)

Now Brandon, what do you think I'm going to say about a skinny guy who's training 5 days/week and not squatting but finding time for curls?

Try to get him understand he's wasting his time now. Ask him how much progress he's made in the past year strength and size wise, that should set the light bulb on hovering over his head... after that, make him order Rip's books.

Look here, I'm loath to tell a guy who's this motivated that he should stay away from the gym, and anyway he won't listen. My vague thought is to maybe have him doing the basic SS thing M-W-F and the isolation crap can come T-Th. And eat of course.

Milk, Squats, Read the book, do the power cleans, don't be a pussy.

Unfortunately, going into the gym and doing what you "like" to do isn't training. If he has no goals in mind then I'd just let him keep doing what he's doing if it makes him happy. However, if he actually has a stated goal of getting bigger and stronger then he needs to cut down to three times per week, squat, and stop the isolation training.

If he is as enthusiastic about training as you say he is then cutting down to three times per week and only focusing on a few lifts for 3x5 will be good for him as he will be mentally focused and ready to train for each of his sessions.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
    So I've got a friend who's been doing what amounts to a bodybuilding split routine, Monday-Friday. He's got some good stuff in there (DL) and some isolation stuff (curls and all that) and has some okay strength in the stuff he does (pulled 310 the other day). He's skinny and lean.

I'd like to get him on a better program but one of his remarks is that he really just LIKES to lift and doesn't want to give up going five days a week. What do you think a good programming option would be to let a novice lift this often? Bonus points if it lets him keep some of the vanity stuff in there.

He's taking up to 3 hours each day and he's apparently been very consistent so he clearly has nice discipline. Just want to aim it properly.

(PS. He's not squatting yet!)
    If he isn't paying you or hasn't at least asked for your help, what do you think your chances are of getting him to do what you want?

Leading horses to water and all that.

Challenge him to a crossfit total a couple months from now. Prize is a night at a strip club for the winner on the loser, or a case of the winner's favorite beer, or whatever works to get your friend interested.

Two months of training squat, deadlift, and press with a goal in mind will do wonders for his perspective.