starting strength gym

Thread: My "squats" need a lot of work.

Default My "squats" need a lot of work.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Long story made relatively short: I really want to get strong, so, naturally, I want to squat. At first, I squatted shallow, and then had to cut back the weight and re-learn the movement in order to get proper depth. Soon after that, I realized I was leg pressing the bar, and tried to fix my form again. Recently, I've come to realize I now have the opposite problem of good morning-ing practically every rep, even light stuff. Once again, I'm going to try to correct my form, but it is horribly frustrating to again have to strip off the weight I worked so hard for in order to improve my technique. I've done 325 for a single and 245x20, but as you can see in the video, when I try to use the right technique, a couple 225x5s are no picnic. And even though it's a lot more difficult than 225x5 done the way I'm used to squatting, it's still not pretty. It frustrates me that even after taking so much weight off the bar, my squat is still ugly.

What I see wrong with these:

1. Back Rounding: Even at this light weight, I'm still trying to good morning it. Part of the problem stems from trying to sit back more, which usually ends up resulting in an even more pronounced good morning for me (?).
    2. Head Position: I start out some of the reps okay (when I consciously think about it), but soon end up with my neck in extension. This might also bee a result of good morning-ing the weight: If I put my head in the right position while my back is darn near horizontal, I feel like I'm going to lose the bar.
    3. Knees: They look like they're traveling forward quite a bit.

I feel like I have the strength to be a much better squatter than this. My deadlift (455 1RM), front squat (280 1RM), and c-o-r-e strength are okay...but I fail at assimilating the strength I use effectively in these other areas into a solid squat.

I sincerely appreciate your help here. I just want to squat and get strong, and it seems like every time I think I'm getting the hang of it, I realize something is wrong and have to go back to square 1.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=P1010028.flv
    There's two separate vids there, but they're pretty similar, I think.

I can tell you what's wrong, but you already know. Some people benefit from being yelled at more than others. Try to find a coach that understands this method, and get yelled at. The immediate reinforcement of a correction on each rep will help you immensely.

I'd give anything to have a coach, but I don't think there are any anywhere near me. I have done a lot of searching.

Are there particular corrective cues that would be most helpful to me?

Lower the weight.

Shahala Guest

Xtrainer,

I think you missed the most important problems in your post.
    Try to sit back with your ass, you seem to dive straight down and bump it up in a circular motion on the ascent.

You don't lift your chest, at all.
    I don't know if it's intentional, but the bar seems abit high isn't it?
    Also, as much as I can see your toes aren't pointing 30 deg.

I belive that reading pg.s 45-48 and working really hard on simultaneously sitting back, shooting your knees outside and foreward and setting your back angle in the first 1/3 of the movement can do the trick, it helped me for sure.
    Hope it helps

starting strength coach development program
    I'd give anything to have a coach, but I don't think there are any anywhere near me. I have done a lot of searching.
    Where do you live? Is Rip coming anywhere close to you with one of his barbell certs?