starting strength gym

Thread: Novice with a deadlift injury to the lower back

Default Novice with a deadlift injury to the lower back

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I just wanted to say that I am so happy that I discovered your book and I am very excited to continue on with the Barbell Training Program.

The reason for my post is, I suffered a pretty rough deadlifting injury 3 weeks ago. I am recovering pretty quickly (with the help of a chiropractor) and now that I am feeling better, I am eager to get back to the deadlifts and squats. For today's workout, I deadlifted and squatted with just the bar (3 sets of 8) and felt pretty good. Do you believe this is a good idea? If I am not feeling any pain, do you feel I should start to add weight? I am also continuing to ice for 20 min on/off.

One other related question: I have developed a minor dull ache above and below my knees from squatting (it goes away if I stop squatting) .... I feel like it might have something to do with tight hamstrings. When I get deep into the pocket of the squat, I have trouble generating power from my hips/ass/glutes. Do you think this is why I am developing the knee aches? Thank you for any help you can provide.

I think both your back and knee problems can be attributed to technique problems. The fact that both are hurt should indicate a problem that needs to be fixed. I think your knees are too far forward on both squats an deadlifts. What do you think?