starting strength gym

Thread: Few questions for Mr. Rippetoe

Default Few questions for Mr. Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    How come you don't do any maximal effort work? That is the quickest way to get stronger, but I don't see it much if any of your routines. 5 sets of 5 is working in approximately 80% of one's 1 RM... How is that going to build maximal strength?

Also how are you supposed to get strong by doing exercises like DB lunges and DB squats? I see fat house wives doing DB squats on bosu balls in the gym.

Don't you think exercises like good mornings, zercher squats, front squats, etc would be better for building strength?

Secondly, why do you do the olympic lifts? Seems like not very many athletes can get any decent technique on the lift, and most importantly olympic lifts aren't strength lifts.

Don't you think doing speed work with a box squat would be more effective? Box Squats utilize an eccentric phase of the lift and there are certain parts of a power clean where there is no muscular tension at all. Plus, one can use more weight in the squat then power clean.

Why doesnt your program have any place for jumping? I'm not talking about jumping on a 24'' inch box for multiple reps either, I'm talking in the 80-100% range here. Over seas they have throwers and other athletes jumping to a standing position with 225 on their back starting out from a kneeling position. Thats some explosive leg strength right there, I don't see any CrossFit athletes even being REMOTELY close to having that kind of explosiveness in their legs.

Lastly, could you perhaps provide me with a group of athletes and their gains? Anyone can talk about methods but I would like to see some results if you could, please.

To me, Cross Fit just seems like a gimmick and a ploy for some high school twinks to do some "athletic training." All i see is some weak athletes deadlifting two wet sucks and power cleaning 95 lbs for reps. What gives?

Also, Im not really criticizing , im more analyzing.

Actually, you're trolling. Go away.

WTF hahaa

Coach, just wanted to say thanks for everything. I didn't plan on ever posting but after reading this I had to say, don't worry, not ALL of us that are new to lifting heavy weights are this full of shit. Loving the PR's and the pride that comes from balls to the wall full ROM squats (something I unfortunately didn't discover until I read your book...was doing partials...). I'm definitely interested in getting much..MUCH stronger. Good luck with your training and coaching.

I always enjoy it when a post begins with "How come...". I can always tell it's going to be a well thought out query. Those are all great questions especially for your first post!

In the future, I might recommend increasing the level of condescension and try to be a little more insulting as you question and disregard everything this most helpful of coaches has learned and provided to everyone at no cost. When my son turns seven years old I hope he can think and write just like you. See you at the preacher curl station!

All the best.

No, I'm actually very serious.

I am wondering why there is no maximal effort work in your programs?

I also would like to know your thoughts on box squatting vs power cleaning?

And of course, I really want to know your thoughts on olympic lifting. According to Hill's Equation they're just fast lifts and don't get you strong. The late graet Dr. Mel C. Siff even said besides the push press or push jerk olympics lifts have not much use for athletes. I just wanted to get your thoughts on that.

Lastly, your thoughts on good mornings, zercher squats, front squats, etc as opposed to DB squats? Don't you think those would do a much better job of building up the posterior chain?

Joe,
    Evidently you have not read any of Coach Rippetoe's books which cites plenty of reasearch to debunk every argument you came up with. If you have read any of the research on Selye's adaptation or other fitness research, you would know that the adaptation in the muscle's from a 5x5 routine increases strength. You lift your 300 lb. squat in a 1RM and anyone on this forum will beat you with their 5x5 routine. Even at a lesser weight on the 5x5 you lift more. Front squats are assistance exercises and have their place in a program where you have learned proper technique and form

Secondly, in order to do the Olympic lifts you do have to have a technique and skill that has been developed from time training. It incorporates your whole body and the muscles working in a chain like god intended. If you don't think they are strength lifts, maybe you missed some of the Oly lifts on TV lately where 170 lb. guys have been snatching and clean and jerking twice their bodyweight. To say they aren't strength exercises is assinine. George Hechter is a prime example, as cited in Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Not only is this helpful in sports, but life is explosive.

Evidently you have never done a CF WOD. Try it. Then you call everyone whatever you want. If you survive.

And finally, this is a strength training community. Let other countries do what they want. We are not here so that everyone will think this a great infomercial for 3 in the morning. We are to get strong and learn from the men and women who have paved the way for us. You want results, look through the posts. You won't have to go far. Read Coach's books. We have, and read many more on top of that. We can beat you with our training today and then smoke you in your training tomorrow.
    Sorry if I was out of line Coach.

Nuff said.

He is right, you won't get very strong doing DB lunges and squats, which is precisely why you, Rip, have suggested, rather forcefully, against doing them.

I don't know how good doing just singles is at getting you strong, but I know it's great at blowing crushing your CNS.

Good morning and front squats are typlically included in the intermidiate and advanced programs, so they are in there. THey aren't in the beginner program because beginners don't need them.

Olympic lifts aren;t strength lifts, but they are power lifts. If you've ever played a sport, than you know power is paramount. And if you can't get decent form on a power clean and power snatch in a fairly short period of time, you probably won't make much of athlete anyway. Seriously, if you can't get a bar to your chest or overhead explosively, how are you going to throw a kick, punch, hip toss, tackle, swing a bat or throw a ball.

The jumping you're discussing, again, would be an advanced technique. There is little reason for a novice to be doing it. And if someone is advanced enough to do something like that, they either have a good handle on it themselves or have a coach. Mark has routinely mentioned the downside of internet training. DOing advanced techniques, like this, are one of them.

Do a week of all out CF and then come back and give us your opinion. If it's good enough for SO operators and olympians, it's good enough for me.

starting strength coach development program
    No shit, Joe. Just go away.