starting strength gym

Thread: Osgood-Schlatter & squats/trainers in Wichita, KS

Default Osgood-Schlatter & squats/trainers in Wichita, KS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

One of the consequences of playing football in high school 20 years ago was developing O/S in my left knee. The sports doc I talked to advised, take a guess, DON'T DO SQUATS. She's a hefty old bag & probably hasn't exercised most of her life.

1. Anyhow, my guess is that your response will be, "...continue to squat until you're dead. Next?" But if there is anything else you may know about this condition to look out for, please tell me. I've done research online, but it's not as good as learning from someone with actual experience.

2. Different question - I'm to the point in Novice routine of needing some live coaching...with the certification in Olathe, KS a few months back, did anyone from the Wichita area become certified? Preferably a hot single chick? I remember there was a comprehensive list of certified trainers being put together.

I see the times of your responses recently like @ 3AM & from now on, will ask as few, if any questions & will keep my usual smartass comments to a minimum.

1. OSD is poorly understood by most orthopods, who all nonetheless seem to have a favorite method of doing the surgery. We have had several kids over the years heal it up with full squats after it was aggravated by leg extensions. My best advice is that you don't talk to "sports medicine" people about sports medicine. They have had poor training -- all of which assumes that "sports" means running and riding your bike -- and little professional experience with it, and usually no personal experience that might temper the silly things they have been taught.

2. There were several gals there, although professional decorum prevented inquiry regarding their legal status. Our website lists those who wish to be contacted here: http://www.aasgaardco.com/bbc/bbc.php

did that bony buildup "heal up" and go away, or just the extreme tenderness and sensitivity? I've had it since I was pretty young from playing soccer, and the bony part is still there, even after doing SS for 6 months. It has not been sensitive for probably 10 years now.

This really pisses me off in that...

1. what the fuck are these so-called "sports doc's" good for? If it were up to this lady doc, I'd be condemned to a fucking Swiss ball with little chrome dumbbells forever! (?) What the hell are these people put through decades of hell to learn? *excuse the rant...just exasperated*

2. no trainers listed in Kansas yet...oh, the humanity! I think I'm doing OK but would like to be observed by an anointed Barbell (Wo)Man. There's no substitute for getting yelled at!

If it were up to me, a bust of one Mr. Rippletoe with that intense menacing glare would be placed in "sport's doc's" offices & gym's complete with blood spurting from the eyeballs & a loop playing the audio, "Jesus Christ on a pogo stick jumping up & down!"

BTW - I almost had a "squat Intervention" in the gym today...several young-un's were doing some batshit crazy shit in the squat rack & all I could do was shake my head in disbelief & think, sadly, that was me not so long ago. I didn't intervene because a massive milk fart broke my concentration.

The osteophyte may last a while, and may in fact not ever go away. That's fine, since you're not a bodybuilder.

And the sports med guys are usually only good if they've trained with weights themselves. Some have, most haven't.

Rip,

I am glad you clarified that about the sports medicine people. Yes some are good and you will find some bad....Look you will find that with any profession.

Quote Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    did that bony buildup "heal up" and go away, or just the extreme tenderness and sensitivity? I've had it since I was pretty young from playing soccer, and the bony part is still there, even after doing SS for 6 months. It has not been sensitive for probably 10 years now.
    The bone spurs on my knees from OSD are still there almost 20 years later. The one on my left knee is particularly impressive, but I rarely experience any pain associated with it - and if I do it's associated with a lot of jumping and landing on the balls of my feet - not squats. In fact, I'd say that squats are some of the best therapy for my knees. Squatting has made my knees much stronger and more stable than they've ever been before.

starting strength coach development program
    Jerry:

Let me further clarify: it is my position that some are good but that most are very bad. Most of them.