starting strength gym

Thread: flip it? Flip it...good?

Default flip it? Flip it...good?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Rip,

Have been working through your programs since SS novice and have been running the Texas method for over a year. I have been having some recovery issues on bench despite having cut volume day to 3x5 as per PP vol. 3. Have considered going to 5/3/1 at this point but would love to milk more out of this excellent program. I love the three day split and the balance of volume, recovery, and intensity days.

My question is this. Having read Starr and Baker's articles on Heavy, light, medium, routines, would it be fruitful to organize the TM in that order by simply putting intensity day first, followed by recovery (light) day, followed by volume (medium) day, which would have me coming into the gym to set PR's not sore from the accumulated stress of two workouts like I am now.

Might this be a legit variation or just a time wasting bastardization?

It seems to make sense to me but I'd feel better hearing from someone smarter and stronger than me before messing with what has so far been an excellent program.

Thanks,

Ron

What do you do on Wednesday? How much do you bench?

I bench right at 250

On Wednesdays I squat 3x5, press 3x5, and do pull-ups or chins 3x failure. I've been holding off on back extensions to be more ready for Intensity deadlifts.