starting strength gym

Thread: Week-to-Week Switching between 2x/Week and 4X/Week Programming

Default Week-to-Week Switching between 2x/Week and 4X/Week Programming

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy,

I’m 46, just finished my linear progression on SS, and have a question about intermediate programming. I’ve browsed PPST3 and your first few years’ of board posts and have narrowed it down to two programs you’ve mentioned on the boards: either twice weekly H/L or a four times per week split. Both programs could be quite similar in volume and intensity except for the number of workouts. So, my question is, is there any harm or, conversely, any benefit, from MOSTLY doing the 4X/week format, yet with more than occasional combining of Monday/Tuesday and/or Thursday/Friday workouts? Given my schedule I would probably be able to do the four workouts/week about half the time throughout the year, while in other weeks I would get 2 or 3 workouts by combining Mon/Tues and/or Th/Fri. Is this type of switching fine, or would it be better to simply be consistent and just do the twice weekly version? I haven’t seen anything on the boards about whether this type of flexibility is good or bad so I’d appreciate your input.

Also, in case you need background information, I gained about 15 pounds during the LP (46 years old, 5’10, now 193 pounds) and stayed about the same bodyfat (somewhere between 16% and 19%). Work sets for 5 reps for Press/Bench/Squat/Deadlift are 135/200/255/335 (squat has been held back by resets due to form issues and knee pain -- other lifts going well).

And these are the two routines I am debating:

*Monday*
    Squat - 4-6RM, Back off 10-15
    Bench - to 4-6RM, then 2 x 8-12
    DB Row/Lat Pulldowns/Chins 3-5 x 8-12
    Accessory Upperbody

*Thursday*
    Squat - 5 x 5 - light
    Press - to 4-6RM, then 2 x 8-12
    Deadlifts 4-6RM, then back off 8-12 (could be sldl)
    Accessory Upperbody

OR

Mon - Bench + accessory
    Tues – Heavy Squat + accessory
    Thurs – Press + light bench + accessory
    Fri – Light Squat + Deadlift + accessory

Thanks!

Going back and forth is fine. Might even do you some good. Reducing frequency is my favorite method of deloading. Would likely keep you from getting overtrained.