starting strength gym

Thread: First Squat Form Check

Default First Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Coaches,

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any feedback that you can offer.

Set 3 of 3, 205lbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPoai...ature=youtu.be

Thanks,

Drew

The weight is pretty easy for you, they moved very fast.

That said, you owe it to yourself to get a pair of lifting shoes. Your heels come up off the floor on every rep, and the shoes will help with that. Additionally, it's difficult to say for certain from this angle, but you probably also need a slightly wider stance and to push your knees out harder. Finally, I'd like to see a more emphatic hip drive.

Thanks coach.

The weight felt pretty good. I have been (and still am) fighting a QL and/or illiolumbar ligament strain. I'm trying to work the weight back up, but I'm very focused on my lower back position. This may be why I'm coming off of my heels as it doesn't feel like I can sit back more and hit depth without rounding my back.

I will try pushing my knees out further and film from a different angle tomorrow.

Thanks,

Drew

Hi Coach,

Here is a video from this morning. My knees are caving pretty hard on the latter reps, especially on this last set. It feels like my hips are weak and I'm compensating by leaning forward onto my quads, is that what you see?

http://youtu.be/Y7U8L4-LuEs

Thank you for the help,

Drew

Well well, looks like your feet now stay fully on the floor, where they can do their job of pushing into the ground. Excellent.

These squats aren't bad, but you can still improve them some. Cut a bit of depth off, don't go quite so low, rather go just below parallel. Stay in your hips throughout the rep - think "HIPS!!" the entire time you drive up, not only at the bottom. And continue to work on shoving your knees out harder.