starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prep for first powerlifting competition?

Default prep for first powerlifting competition?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all

I'm 24 days out from my first powerlifting competition. My current program is 531 and I just finished a cycle. It is only my third cycle so my 1+ week has me generally getting between 4 - 8 reps depending on the exercise.

So with 24 days left until my first meet, should I just start another cycle and deload before the meet? I won't be lifting anything near the weights I will be lifting at the competition so this has me concerned. I do joker sets, but this still won't get me ready for the heavy weights I think...

Also FYI: after the meet I will be starting on Madcows 5x5.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by James.Wierzba View Post
    Hi all

I'm 24 days out from my first powerlifting competition. My current program is 531 and I just finished a cycle. It is only my third cycle so my 1+ week has me generally getting between 4 - 8 reps depending on the exercise.

So with 24 days left until my first meet, should I just start another cycle and deload before the meet? I won't be lifting anything near the weights I will be lifting at the competition so this has me concerned. I do joker sets, but this still won't get me ready for the heavy weights I think...

Also FYI: after the meet I will be starting on Madcows 5x5.

Any suggestions?
    Well, what is your level of training advancement? What kind of reps are you getting on your 1+ sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Well, what is your level of training advancement? What kind of reps are you getting on your 1+ sets?
    I said in the first post, I'm getting between 4-8 reps on my 1+ sets.

Here is the numbers for this 1+ week:
    Squat: 325lb x 6
    Bench: 235lb x 4 paused
    Deadlift: 390lb x 8
    OHP: 145lb x 8

That should make me an intermediate in strength terms I think but obviously I'm a noob powerlifter

Sorry, I must have missed that. What's your current weight? How long have you been training altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Sorry, I must have missed that. What's your current weight? How long have you been training altogether?
    5'9 181lb

Been going to the gym for 3 years, training for about 1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by James.Wierzba View Post
    5'9 181lb

Been going to the gym for 3 years, training for about 1.5.
    Well, I'd think it might make some sense to work up to a heavy single for each exercise and then use the 5/3/1 sets as a backoff, since it will only be your 4th cycle.

I'd personally mix in some max effort triples, doubles, and/or singles. I think that will increase your 1RMs more than another 5/3/1 cycle where you're getting around 8 reps on a 1+ day.

Kyle Schuant Guest

Don't worry about it, mate. You don't need to try to squeeze out a few extra pounds here or there, just continue with your normal programming. Your first meet is not for getting an extra 10lbs here or there on your personal bests, it's so you can experienced the conditions of competition, as Bob Takano describes here, talking about weightlifting rather than powerlifting, but same thing really.

On the day, whatever was your latest work weight for 5 reps, use that as your opener. You'll be distracted by the stress of your first meet, following the head judge's commands and so on, so you want something you can do easily. After that, just go by how you feel.

After your first meet you'll know whether you want a second, and when that second will be, and you can plan from there. At your level of lifting - where you can progress from one workout to the next - you don't need to worry about a peaking cycle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Don't worry about it, mate. You don't need to try to squeeze out a few extra pounds here or there, just continue with your normal programming. Your first meet is not for getting an extra 10lbs here or there on your personal bests, it's so you can experienced the conditions of competition, as Bob Takano describes here, talking about weightlifting rather than powerlifting, but same thing really.

On the day, whatever was your latest work weight for 5 reps, use that as your opener. You'll be distracted by the stress of your first meet, following the head judge's commands and so on, so you want something you can do easily. After that, just go by how you feel.

After your first meet you'll know whether you want a second, and when that second will be, and you can plan from there. At your level of lifting - where you can progress from one workout to the next - you don't need to worry about a peaking cycle anyway.
    I disagree. I would calculate a projected 1rm and do a single in the 90% -ish range before your reps. A heavy single feels different and you have to get used to it. The single won't effect your strength but you'll know how to handle it when it's time to get on the platform.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I disagree. I would calculate a projected 1rm and do a single in the 90% -ish range before your reps. A heavy single feels different and you have to get used to it. The single won't effect your strength but you'll know how to handle it when it's time to get on the platform.
    I agree with both of you. I'm not trying to run the perfect program to peak for the meet. I just want to get accustomed to handling the heavy weights so I'm not in for any surprises. I like the idea of a heavy single before I do my 531 sets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast