starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From boxing to SS, check my squat

Red face From boxing to SS, check my squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello there,
    I'm a 23yo Italian guy 6 feet 190lb, and after years of boxing I started doing weightlifting! I started with SS two month ago and now this are my numbers (1RPM):
    DEADLIFT 320
    SQUAT 290
    BENCH PRESS 190
    POWER CLEAN 165
    PRESS 110

I read the book (SS) and bought the dvd as well. Here is a video of my last set of squat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeaTmWQoFPs

Thanks for the update!

Hey Paul!
    What do you think about my squat form? Any tips?

They look pretty good, but it appears you are twisted (unless it's just a weird camera angle). Have someone walk around you and make sure your feet are even and your knees are staying out.

yeah it might be because I have scoliosis by the way I think that my knees are always out and that my feet are even.
    Here is a older video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z105WvWnp3c

Do you see the same problem?

Yeah, you're just twisted. Shoot from directly behind if you can.

I will coach, on Wednesday.
    A video where you can see the back, I got it.

Hey coach.
    I'm pretty sad because my sqaut is not improving and is actually going worse... Some olympich coaches told me about my twisting and my asymmetric hips, and I just feel bad.

Here is a new video, just few things...
    1)I'm sorry because I had to wear a lighter t-shirt, a black one is definitely not good to see asymmetry.
    2)I was very sweaty, so my pants are like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kHf7UlRwM

The weight is light (175 pounds) cause I feel like I must correct myself and using going lighter seems such a better idea.

At the end of the day I found that if a friend moves the bar a little bit in order to avoid my twisting (that it starts even before squatting.... when I unrack the bar..), my form seems better.

Check to make sure the bar is straight across your back. You seem to tuck your right elbow in much more than your left. You might play around with different grips. Move the right hand out and see what happens. Ideally we want your grip to be even, but if taking an asymmetrical grip produces a straight bar on your back, try that. Also, bring your stance in about 1", point your toes out more and shove your knees out harder.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey coach,
    I'm using lighter weights, because my lower left back (like close to my butt, sorry for my poor english knowledge) hurts. It happens like when I have a wide stance ( I'm not talking about WO day, it s on rest days..). I'm little bit scared, I have a mild scoliosis and I'm worried that I fucked up my back. I'm asymmetric even when I bench ( a guy just told me that I keep one side of the bar closer to my head while the other one is closer to the feet). I'm sorry to bother you but I really feel that you can help me and thus make me feel better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast