starting strength gym

Thread: squats and deads in SS and valsalva

Default squats and deads in SS and valsalva

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've read the first chapter carefully some 6 times so i'm pretty confident i haven't missed this crucial bit of information. Coach you dont mention anything about doing reps of squats in that chapter. For instance, we take a big breath, be nice and tight, and unrack, and then proceed to do the first rep with our supporting muscles tight. But then at some stage you will have to take another breath -- when you do, do you lose that tightness? and if so, at what point should that happen? Or are you expected to maintain tightness throughout the whole set? This is not covered in the book.

I have a similar question about the deadlift also. Am i allowed to do a rep, put the bar down, then then stand up, and pretend i'm about to do the my first rep?

What does the first sentence of the last paragraph on page 52 say? I think we deal with tightness pretty thoroughly in this section of the book, and I assumed you would know that when you need to breathe you would do so, and in a way that preserves tightness. This is actually the first time anyone has asked me for permission to breathe between reps.

well while we're on the topic today when i was doing my squats i had to go to the bathroom, number 2, like really really bad. probably from all the big macs i eat. fortunately i had my copy of SS with me, so i looked through it to see when we were allowed to go to the bathroom during our workouts (workout A if that matters). i couldnt find anything, and it took me a while to look through the book, so i kind of had an accident (i forget what page i was on when it happened). im hoping this issue is covered in SS 3rd edition because im sure other people have had the same problem. plus its gonna be a real pain to find a new gym now. thanks for your help coach.

Sure. Glad I could be there for you.

my problem is that when i breath out to take a fresh breath i lose tightness. any tips on avoiding this?

Take a shorter, smaller breath.

starting strength coach development program
    For me it helps especially taking short breaths through the mouths between breaths. If there are more than one, I take the last one through my nose, it seems that it helps through already putting more pressure in the belly while breathing. I didnt really loose tightness in that position yet though...