starting strength gym

Thread: Narrow Grip Presses

Default Narrow Grip Presses

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So, my strained pec. several weeks in the rear view mirror, I now have a stupid pinching feeling in my right shoulder when I press. It actually started when I stupidly did a set to failure in inclined bench but not it bothers me when I press. So, on Tuesday, I tried narrow grip press, with my outer hands on the inside edge of the knurling. I wasn't able to do as much weight but my shoulder was fine. Problem was that this hurt my wrist. After my workout, I experimented with dumbbell presses and I could do the narrow grip without wrist or shoulder pain.

So my question is: should I do narrow grip LP with dumbbell presses until my shoulder heals (assuming no rotator cuff pain), or should I just focus on bench for pressing until I am healed and then re-introduce pressing? I don't like the idea of ditching the press because I just hit bodyweight press after years of trying.

Thanks!

I don't understand the point of narrow grip dumbell press or narrow grip dumbell benching. The size of the dumbell makes it impossible to get your hands where you'd like them to be at the bottom. You're going to be stopping well short of where you could bring a barbell due to the size of the dumbell.

I did them last night neutral grip and was able to be narrow enough to avoid shoulder pain. The Teads off os yhat 60s for 3 was my top work set. Barbell, that is 180 pounds. So I am just wondering if it’s a waste of time from a training perspective due to the huge weight delta.