starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead lift suffers when squat wins

Default Dead lift suffers when squat wins

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Anyone else have issues dead lifting heavy in the same session as a good squat? I squatted 3 sets of 180 for 5 and it felt solid but challenging. Last week I dl'd 235 for 5 and today I couldn't pull 245 for 5. I realize my squat has gone up 20#+ since my last dl, but how can I continue to progress on both lifts?

Need more info.

Height. Weight. Age. Sex. Where you started. Chalk? Etc.

How much are you eating? Height, weight? I'm assuming you are using pounds.
    Eventually (I don't think you are there) linear progression becomes too hard to sustain and you'll have to throw in a light day for squats (or drop from 3 to 2 squat sessions per week).

Are you still deadlifting more than once per week?

5'10", 170#, 30, Female. What do you mean by where I started? I do use chalk, yes. Not using lifting shoes while Dl'ing.

I feel like I'm eating enough. Not counting calories. Drinking milk after each lifting session. I think you're right about the light day for squats in the near future.

I'm only Dl'ing once per week. Doing SS program with chins, power cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by mshizzleceba View Post
    Anyone else have issues dead lifting heavy in the same session as a good squat? I squatted 3 sets of 180 for 5 and it felt solid but challenging. Last week I dl'd 235 for 5 and today I couldn't pull 245 for 5. I realize my squat has gone up 20#+ since my last dl, but how can I continue to progress on both lifts?
    You need have a seperate squat day and deadlift day.

Kenny Croxdale

Answer the questions posted by Jonathan and ColoWayno. The poundages posted should be no trouble given that you recover properly by eating and sleeping, also you may try upping the deadlift by 5lb rather than 10lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    You need have a seperate squat day and deadlift day.

Kenny Croxdale
    Right now I'm lifting 3 days a week, say M, W, F. Squat every day, alternate press and bench. Alternate between DL, PC, barbell row and doing chins 2 times a week with some intervals. Maybe add the DL on Tuesday with chins?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post
    Answer the questions posted by Jonathan and ColoWayno. The poundages posted should be no trouble given that you recover properly by eating and sleeping, also you may try upping the deadlift by 5lb rather than 10lb.
    I did, see above. I'll try the 5# increase.

I did, see above. I'll try the 5# increase.
    My mistake. I don't have much experience in programming for women, I've read that with presses women seem to respond better to higher volume but I don't know if that applies to squats/deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post
    My mistake. I don't have much experience in programming for women, I've read that with presses women seem to respond better to higher volume but I don't know if that applies to squats/deadlifts.
    I'll have to play around with it I guess. Thanks all for input

starting strength coach development program
    I agree. Instead of making 10 pound jumps on the deadlift, make 5 pound jumps. You can also move your deadlift to every fourth workout. You would go deadlift, pullup, power clean, pullup for your pulls each workout.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 08-15-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast