starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift warm-up question

Default Deadlift warm-up question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been doing SS for 13 sessions and it's been amazing. I'm 5,7ish, 155lbs, male, 21 yo.

My warm-up for the dead is: 1x5->1x5->1x3->1x2 then 1x5 work set.

I started deadlifting with 110lbs (the bar here weighs 10kg + 20kg each side). Now I'm deadlifting 205lbs. Since I started way light, my first warm-up set was 66lbs (10kg each side) and I've kept it so far.

Two problems:

Last workout, I made ~35lbs jumps between sets. Don't know if it's too much or not.

The 10kg plates put the bar too low on height. I have to use 25kg plates (making the system 25kg+25kg+10kg = 135lbs) to put the bar at an okay height (still a bit lower than with olympic plates.). I put plates on the floor to make it better, though, but starting with 135lbs for the first warm-up would make things easier.

Question:

At what work set weight can/should I make my first warm-up set with 135lbs?

Thank you.

Start now. 135 x 5.

In the last two months I have coached both a friend and my fiancee to deadlift, squat and press.

The friend is 160lbs and works with fabric and sequins 7 hours a day.
    My partner is 140lbs and has had multiple ankle wrist and knee injuries.
    She also has barely recovered from the following viruses: Barma Forest Fever, Glandular Fever, Ross River Fever.

Both their dead-lifts started at 135lbs on the first workout and have not stalled since.
    You should consider than maybe you aren't trying hard enough, unless of course I have you wrong and you are in fact an amputee.

but even then...