starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein quantity?

Default Protein quantity?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    A general rule of thumb is 1g/lb of body weight. It seems we don't metabolize protein as efficiently as we age. Is there a rule of thumb for how much to increase protein intake with age? I'm a 60yo male.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    A general rule of thumb is 1g/lb of body weight. It seems we don't metabolize protein as efficiently as we age. Is there a rule of thumb for how much to increase protein intake with age? I'm a 60yo male.
    I asked Jordan a related question a while back. I am 59yo.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...tion-male.html

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I asked Jordan a related question a while back. I am 59yo.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...tion-male.html
    Another 10% over 1g/lb sounds like a reasonable adjustment. I'm a bit curious about dividing 220g over three meals, given some claims that over 30g or 40g of protein in a three hour period is not properly digested.

I'm also focused on hitting protein and total calorie targets and not as focused on the split between carbs fats.

Another 10% over 1g/lb sounds like a reasonable adjustment. I'm a bit curious about dividing 220g over three meals, given some claims that over 30g or 40g of protein in a three hour period is not properly digested.

I'm also focused on hitting protein and total calorie targets and not as focused on the split between carbs fats.
    I think Jordan has said three or four meals is fine. I go with three because I prefer larger as opposed to smaller meals.

The thing about over 30g or 40g of protein not being digested is false. If I eat 120g of protein in the form of chicken breasts, I don't shit out undigested chicken the next morning.

Two meals/day is better than one/day and three/day is marginally better than 2/day but beyond that it is very hard to show that 4,5,6, etc./day is better than 3/day. If >3/day does provide better results it is a very small effect.

BTW, my post in Jordan's forum was last September. I said I was 199lb and wanted to lose 10lb. Right now I am 186lb. All of my lifts are higher, so it did work for me.
    Last edited by Culican; 08-29-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added BTW

I can't get the 1 g per lb, no way I can go higher.

Wish I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I think Jordan has said three or four meals is fine. I go with three because I prefer larger as opposed to smaller meals.

The thing about over 30g or 40g of protein not being digested is false. If I eat 120g of protein in the form of chicken breasts, I don't shit out undigested chicken the next morning.

Two meals/day is better than one/day and three/day is marginally better than 2/day but beyond that it is very hard to show that 4,5,6, etc./day is better than 3/day. If >3/day does provide better results it is a very small effect.

BTW, my post in Jordan's forum was last September. I said I was 199lb and wanted to lose 10lb. Right now I am 186lb. All of my lifts are higher, so it did work for me.
    To be a bit more precise, the usual claim is that quantities of protein above some level in a single meal are essentially wasted for purposes of muscle protein synthesis. The excess protein would be otherwise digested. Do you have any research or the like on the subject?

Congrats on your weight loss and strength increase.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

Wish I could.
    Why can't you get that much? Add a protein shake or replace something with one?

Do you have any research or the like on the subject?
    Just found this (have only read the abstract so far):

JISSN | Full text | Evidence-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: nutrition and supplementation

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

Wish I could.

I love to eat. I could get 300-400g/day if I allowed myself.

starting strength coach development program
    Why can't you get that much? Add a protein shake or replace something with one?
    Breakfast - 4 eggs turkey bacon / say 45
    Lunch - salad with chicken / say 35
    Shake - 50 (when I remember)

That still leaves 90 for dinner and don't want to weigh more

I weigh 230

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast