starting strength gym

Thread: Basic hypertrophy add-on

Default Basic hypertrophy add-on

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm still late novice stage, and will continue apace. But can anyone recommend a basic few/several lifts that I can add for hypertrophy purposes? I'd just like to go for some aesthetics in addition to my massive strength gains.

A program without a lot of wrist curls pretty much cannot be called a program at all.

Have you gotten no bigger from doing a linear progression? If not, something unusual is afoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    A program without a lot of wrist curls pretty much cannot be called a program at all.

Have you gotten no bigger from doing a linear progression? If not, something unusual is afoot.
    Oh, I have gotten bigger. I'm just looking for something more than the Novice LP provides to this 51 y/o, and maybe a little more definition. I posted on repetitive inquiries forum and got some suggestions, some of which I'm already doing (e.g., chins, curls, lateral raises).

More defininiton will be a function of bodyfat. You do realize how vague your question is, right? Chins aren't an assistance exercise. They are part of the program. Choose your assistance work so that it doesn't interfere with your main lifts. If you want to curl, curl. If you want triceps kickbacks, have at it. I would not start supersetting leg press, leg extensions, and leg curls in between squat work sets.

More defininiton will be a function of bodyfat. You do realize how vague your question is, right? Chins aren't an assistance exercise. They are part of the program. Choose your assistance work so that it doesn't interfere with your main lifts. If you want to curl, curl. If you want triceps kickbacks, have at it. I would not start supersetting leg press, leg extensions, and leg curls in between squat work sets.
    Yeah, I see that you are right. I don't add any of those leg exercises, ever. I have been of the understanding that SS, not being a program the goal of which is hypertrophy but strength, would produce less hypertrophy than a program the goal of which is hypertrophy. I guess I wanted a touch of the latter on top of my SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I have been of the understanding that SS, not being a program the goal of which is hypertrophy but strength, would produce less hypertrophy than a program the goal of which is hypertrophy. I guess I wanted a touch of the latter on top of my SS.
    Please define "hypertrophy." Please explain to me how to produce hypertrophy, as you understand it, in the human organism.

Please define "hypertrophy." Please explain to me how to produce hypertrophy, as you understand it, in the human organism.
    Ah, hell, now I'm going to expose myself as the newbie I am. I am using hypertrophy in the sense of growing my muscles in a way that they not only are bigger, but look bigger. My SS progression has definitely made a difference not only in huge strength gains, but also bigger muscles. I was just hoping for more aesthetically. But your comment above about more definition being a function of bodyfat is spot on for me too. Maybe I'm tilting at windmills.

The thing to remember is that changing your body takes time. If you want to be both big and lean, realize that it is going to be a long road if you are not naturally predisposed to being both big and lean. Getting bigger requires a caloric excess and lots of hard training. Getting leaner requires a caloric deficit and lots of hard training. The trick is to keep bodyfat at levels that make you happy and allow for your espoused goals. Lots of people do things like go from 175 pounds to 195 pounds and then back down to 175 pounds and wonder whey they don't look any differently. Don't be that guy. If you wish to be bigger, do that. Don't become a fatass in the process, but realize that, unless you are on drugs, putting on weight will bring some fat along for the ride. Further, losing weight will claim lean tissue in the process. I wish things were not this way, but they are.

If you are still new to this, eat good food, train hard, and don't miss sessions. Do some curls if you want. Throw a little conditioning in there when the time is right. Keep doing this for five years. See what happens. My guess is that you will be pretty happy with the results.

If you are still new to this, eat good food, train hard, and don't miss sessions. Do some curls if you want. Throw a little conditioning in there when the time is right. Keep doing this for five years. See what happens. My guess is that you will be pretty happy with the results.
    That's a homerun right there ^^^^^

starting strength coach development program
    The thing to remember is that changing your body takes time. If you want to be both big and lean, realize that it is going to be a long road if you are not naturally predisposed to being both big and lean. Getting bigger requires a caloric excess and lots of hard training. Getting leaner requires a caloric deficit and lots of hard training. The trick is to keep bodyfat at levels that make you happy and allow for your espoused goals. Lots of people do things like go from 175 pounds to 195 pounds and then back down to 175 pounds and wonder whey they don't look any differently. Don't be that guy. If you wish to be bigger, do that. Don't become a fatass in the process, but realize that, unless you are on drugs, putting on weight will bring some fat along for the ride. Further, losing weight will claim lean tissue in the process. I wish things were not this way, but they are.

I'll follow this advice. I think I am being impatient.