starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best day in TM to test 1 RM deadlift?

Default Best day in TM to test 1 RM deadlift?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Although I'm trying to follow the TM program 100%, I like to periodically test my 1RM on deadlift. Once per cycle is is probably plenty, although I'd be happy to do it weekly.

Is it better to test it on volume day at the end of the 1x5 deadlift (which is what I did today) or move it to the intensity day following power cleans? Neither are really good for testing 1RM, since the power cleans bust up my traps (because I suck at them).

Or is it best to never try for 1RM on deadlift?

Default Re: Best day in TM to test 1 RM deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by 91blckgt View Post
    Although I'm trying to follow the TM program 100%, I like to periodically test my 1RM on deadlift. Once per cycle is is probably plenty, although I'd be happy to do it weekly.

Is it better to test it on volume day at the end of the 1x5 deadlift (which is what I did today) or move it to the intensity day following power cleans? Neither are really good for testing 1RM, since the power cleans bust up my traps (because I suck at them).

Or is it best to never try for 1RM on deadlift?
    Well, obviously its best to follow the program. But if it were me, I'd run through my regular squat and pressing movement VD, and then start working up to a deadlift 1rm. It wont be a true 1rm due to the preceding lifts, but it will give you a ballpark number. Then next week start back again at the previous weeks workset weight. I wouldn't do it more than every 4-6 months.

Just my 2 cents.

I swapped deadlifts with cleans and do a heavy single after my set of 5 on Intensity Day. Again, not best for testing true 1RM, but it serves it's purpose for me.

What do you mean by "once per cycle"? TM is a continuous thing, so any splitting into cycles is completely arbitrary.

What hatmanii suggested is reasonable. But I think it's silly to test your 1RM if your work sets are going up since your 1RM is increasing every week.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rment View Post
    What do you mean by "once per cycle"? TM is a continuous thing, so any splitting into cycles is completely arbitrary.

What hatmanii suggested is reasonable. But I think it's silly to test your 1RM if your work sets are going up since your 1RM is increasing every week.
    I'm using a log calculator I found online, much easier than trying to calculate everything myself. It's broken into cycles for reporting purposes. Much like 5/3/1, I prefer to think of TM as a series of small weekly sprints gathered up into a 4 week "cycle". That's what I meant. I like hatmanii's suggestion, but every 4-6 months? That seems too far apart, I'm thinking once a month to once every other month.

And as to why... Well, when someone asks "how much do you deadlift", they aren't asking about your 5RM weight. I like to periodically test myself and see if I can really do what the 5RM to 1RM calculators say I can do.

If you're curious about your deadlift 1RM in the context of a MEET, then do NOT test your deadlift 1RM on a day where you don't ALSO test your squat 1RM and your bench press 1RM.

Suggestion: do this on Intensity Day, instead of the normal workout ...

Squat, warm up to prep for your most recent best set of 5, but do a SINGLE at that weight. Then add 5% to that weight and do ANOTHER single. Then add the same amount of weight and do ANOTHER single. Etc. If the rep calculators are close at all, within 5 singles at the most you should have hit a weight that KNOW you cannot lift the NEXT addition, or hit actual failure.

Now you've warmed up and done no more reps than you would have done in a normal intensity day, but as singles, with rest between them, and you have a Squat 1RM.

Repeat the process for bench press and deadlift.

Total workload will be warmups plus 15 or so heavy singles, the whole shebang should take about an hour.

Really I don't so how this is so much more "stressful" than a normal intensity day that you have to be afraid of doing it regularly and/or frequently. (Assuming you avoid actual concentric failure on the test with the same care that you avoid actual concentric failure on the set of 5, that is. In other words, the same "intensity level" re: failure.)

ID = 1 set of 5 at 85%-90% of true 1RM

1RM Test Day = 4 or 5 singles at and above 85%-90% of true 1RM
    Last edited by algunos hombre; 10-29-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 91blckgt View Post
    I'm using a log calculator I found online, much easier than trying to calculate everything myself. It's broken into cycles for reporting purposes. Much like 5/3/1, I prefer to think of TM as a series of small weekly sprints gathered up into a 4 week "cycle". That's what I meant. I like hatmanii's suggestion, but every 4-6 months? That seems too far apart, I'm thinking once a month to once every other month.

And as to why... Well, when someone asks "how much do you deadlift", they aren't asking about your 5RM weight. I like to periodically test myself and see if I can really do what the 5RM to 1RM calculators say I can do.
    Honestly, pulling that heavy that much on top of the 5rms is a recipe for disaster. I understand wanting to know what your 1rm in a given lift is, but just trust the program and know that it's working.

If you don't like like saying what your 5rm is, then just give them a ballpark number. Don't let your ego get in the way of good solid progress.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    ... pulling that heavy that much on top of the 5rms is a recipe for disaster. ....
    That's why you do the 1RM test INSTEAD OF the 5RM test on Intensity Day.

It's about the same amount of work to do one or the other.

I second the ID comment. I pulled singlets after squatting And benching heavy singles from 4 weeks out til my deload. You'll be fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by algunos hombre View Post
    That's why you do the 1RM test INSTEAD OF the 5RM test on Intensity Day.

It's about the same amount of work to do one or the other.
    No matter where he deadlifts, its the same deadlift volume and intensity, be it on VD or ID, and doing 1rm's as often as he wants to is not a good idea. Period.

1rms stress the body differently than 5rms do. So not, its not quite the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast