starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for hook grip deadlifters

Default Question for hook grip deadlifters

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have always used a mixed grip for my deadlift but recently something feels off about it, like I'm uneven, and I've been getting some tightness in the lat on the side of my supinated hand.

I think I'm going to start pulling with a hook grip but I wanted to know if I should still use DOH for all my warmup sets?
    I don't seem to get the same amount of fatigue in my forearms using the hook grip as I do DOH, so I'm guessing it's a bad idea to hook the warmup sets?

I'd DOH all the warmup sets to get the grip work.

You might have to alter this slightly if you find that too many warmup sets may be affecting your ability to use a good strong hook grip. If your hook grip starts to fail on later sets, it may be because you did too many DOH warmup sets. In that case, either switch to hook grip a bit earlier in the training session, or use longer rest periods between sets.

I'd certainly still use chalk with or without a hook grip.

double post

I agree with Vic. I use hook grip when my DOH grip is about to fail on my workset. That means I usually got 2-3 reps with DOH, then I'll make the change as I take a breath at the bottom.

If you don't plan on competing Corrie you could use straps for your workset. It's suggested in the deadlift chapter.

I DOH all warm ups then hook working set, hook pc too but just because it seems to make my rack faster

Default Re: Question for hook grip deadlifters

I DOH most of my warmup and then hook my work sets. Sometimes ill hook the last warmup but this is done by how I'm feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    I DOH most of my warmup and then hook my work sets. Sometimes ill hook the last warmup but this is done by how I'm feeling.
    Same here. Depends how my grip feels that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I agree with Vic. I use hook grip when my DOH grip is about to fail on my workset. That means I usually got 2-3 reps with DOH, then I'll make the change as I take a breath at the bottom.

If you don't plan on competing Corrie you could use straps for your workset. It's suggested in the deadlift chapter.
    Thank for everyone's input.

Straps might work. I have tiny little girly-man hands so my DOH grip is pretty pathetic. That being said I don't want to lose out on too much forearm work. I'll stick to DOH as long as I can and then I'll see how straps and hook grip work for the worksets.

I have a slightly thick bar (roughly 30mm) and I DOH all the warmups then hook the work set. Tons of chalk, I even chalk the tops of my thumbs (don't know if it does anything).

Regardless of how I feel I try to DOH my last warmup set, but I think once it gets heavy enough I might not be able to do this.

Also, there was a clever chap on here once who started a thread with a funny title that had some discussion on this. Ahh yes, here it is.

starting strength coach development program
    I use hook grip all of the time. It's my natural grip now. Like, I automatically use that grip when holding a barbell. I don't see why you'd want to use double overhand grip to be honest.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast