starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should I take extra days off?

Default How often should I take extra days off?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My Friday workout was cut short because I was sort of tired. I was due to start the week today, but I'm still tired.

Should I just take the week off?

FYI, I've done just 16 SS workouts so far.

Default How often should I take extra days off?

Drink 5 Red Bulls or whatever you need to do because once you start missing days you suddenly will not be going at all.

To answer your question: No, that would be stupid to take the rest of the week off. Get your shit together, get some sleep, eat some good food and get ready for Wednesday. Maybe repeat your last workout to ease back into it a little bit. Don't try to increase from last workout given the layoff.

Now for a bit of a rant: You cut your workout short because you were "sort of tired?" Here's what it really comes down to: don't be a pussy. Finish your workout. "Sort of tired" means it was mental. You didn't say you were too exhausted to continue, that's a different story and should be very rare. Obviously, shit happens and sometimes you can't finish the work out and sometimes you don't feel like working out. Having the discipline and toughness to go into the gym when you feel this way is what will make you stronger. It's easy to go to the gym and have a good day when you're feeling good. When you're not feeling good, but you still drag yourself there and give it your best -- that's what makes you stronger. If you're going to wait until you feel 100% to train, you will not train very often.

If I take more than 2days off between any kind of LP I am forced to deload because I lose "tolerance" of the weight I was using. People are different but missing days really is a waste of time, at 16 workouts things should not be very hard or stagnant yet. Just show up and make progress, its pretty simple. Taking a whole week off is really unnecessary and will probably cause you to regress.

If you feel you have to miss more than 4 days straight, why not just go in for cardio, mobility work or practice cleans or something?

ligu

Ahh... just checked my blood sugar. Very low for me. Easy fix.

After missing one workout it is best to take a month or two off. You know, just in case

Quote Originally Posted by njs23 View Post
    After missing one workout it is best to take a month or two off. You know, just in case
    Absolutely. The more rest, the better. They say that one's muscles grow when we rest. Therefore, by resting a month I should have huge muscles!!

That's why people who come out of comas are so jacked afterward.

starting strength coach development program
    Done. Had to east 1 cup of stuffing. Workout was great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast