starting strength gym

Thread: J-Hook

Default J-Hook

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been using a Powertec rack for approximately two years. Over the last month, I have noticed the knurled part of the bar that comes into contact with the J-hooks is slowly grinding away. The area is starting to flake as it becomes more and more polished. This hasn’t been an issue in the past but I have been thinking about getting a new bar for the rack and would not want to damage it.

My solution would be to either to replace the J-hooks with ones that have a plastic plate on the “hook” or cut/slip a section of radiator hose over the hook and glue the ends of the hose together.

My question is: what was your solution? Did you leave it as is or replace/modify your existing j-hooks? If you replaced them, what product did you use and how long did the plastic cushion work? If your solution was to a hose, did it protect the bar?
    Thanks All

I never use that part of the knurling, because I don't do snatches. Maybe buy a separate bar for snatches and never put it into a rack?

I would prefer taking care of the issue such that wear and tear on equipment is kept to a minimum. I am a-bit anal when it comes to keeping stuff in good condition.

I am looking at purchasing a new bar, my main lifts are squat, bench, DL, & OHP, except for the DL most of what I do is in the cage (I work out alone at home). The new bar would be used in the cage and I want to correct this issue.

I hear you. It would bug me too.

I use a rogue S1, which has plastic inserts in the J-hooks so if I ever move my home gym to a room with a higher ceiling and try snatches, the outer knurling is still there waiting for me.

The plastic rogue uses is pretty hard stuff and seems to hold up well. I'm guessing radiator hose would wear through quickly, especially if you're strong enough to use heavy weights.

I thought the same about using the rubber hose. Eventually it would wear out and then I am back to square 1. Will have to check out the rogue replacement hooks to detern=mine if they will work with a Powertec rack.

starting strength coach development program
    Rogue j cups will not wor, 5/8" pins, powertec has 1". Will take a look at the rad hose solution.