starting strength gym

Thread: I've only four nights a week to train

Default I've only four nights a week to train

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi.

I'm recently separated from my wife and I have the kids for half the week, which means I only have four nights a week to go to the gym.

I'm right in the middle of novice /linear progression so I have been doing the gym every second day, with two days off after the third gym day.

Stats as follows:
    Squat: 107kg
    Dead: 132g
    Bench: 96kg
    Press: 60kg
    Clean: 73g

So I definitely have a long way to go before getting out of LP, but I won't be able to carry on with my normal routine anymore.

Should I squeeze in 3 workouts into four days, with a low squat day in the middle, and maybe bring in the back extension (don't really have the right equipment for that at the gym, but could give it a go) or do I go with two work outs and then four days off?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

So you have Mon-Thurs available? Just train Monday and Thursday night. See if you can do this:

Mon: Squat/Bench/Deads

Thurs: Squat/Press/Clean

You can add in chins or a little bit of other assistance work, but a 2x/week schedule tends to work pretty well

Great, thanks, I'll work with that.

Cheers,

John

Thanks Andy

Given the spaced out nature of 2x a week, do I still need to have the same amount of protein every day or if I was getting in 400g of protein between workouts (if done every second day) can i spread that 400g out over 3/4 days between workouts?

I wouldn't really drop your protein intake. If anything drop your carb intake. When you lift consistently your body is pretty much always in a state of recovery/repair. Best to keep it continuously fed.

starting strength coach development program
    Roger. Thank you.