starting strength gym

Thread: valsalva and roids

Default valsalva and roids

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been trying to get my 65 year old mother to squat. She is resistant because of herorrhoids. Can anyone speak to squatting and pressing (Im not going to bother having her deadlift, clean or bench press), using the valsalva and hemorrhoids? I don't have hemorrhoids and don't really understand all that well what they are, although I understand they are blown out blood vessels around the anus.

Thanks

Nobody has an opinion?

It hasn't been an issue. 'Nuff said.

I've been squatting with & without weights for a year and a half (now age 53) and squats have given me no problem with the big "H". I did have a problem once when doing deadlifts. . . but determined that I wasn't tightening up my pelvic floor sufficiently. Since then I've increased the weights considerably with no further problem.

May I suggest you not abbreviate hemorrhoids as roids? It just kind of leads the readers off down the hershey highway, so to speak. Now to be serious, I have them and I squat as well as deadlift and while I have problems from time to time, they don't seem to be affected by either movement.