starting strength gym

Thread: Will my Squat ever be approvable? Form check.

Default Will my Squat ever be approvable? Form check.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    6'0 205 pounds.

Have been pointing my toes out/shoving my knees out more. Keeping tension on my quadriceps to cut the ATG depth off I used to do, I'm trying really hard not to collapse into the bottom like I used to. I've been working on maintaining my back angle and driving with my hips. I've been eating more and more trying to get up to a bodyweight of 210 lbs.

Is there anything I need to work on? Thank you, any form criticism is appreciated.

Last edited by SBegetis; 02-24-2013 at 11:00 PM.

SBegetis,

I am sorry to say that these look pretty ugly. After the first rep, the set really deteriorates. You lose a lot of tension in the bottom, you are allowing your knees to collapse in during your ascent, and you have a pretty dramatic change in your back angle as you rise up as well. As far as your set-up goes, I think you should flare your toes out more.

From your post it sounds like you have a pretty good idea on the things you need to work on. Try finding a coach in your area who can help you.

I hope this helps,

JP

I say widen your stance, point your toes out more and focus on pushing your knees out. Really.
    Last edited by tdood; 02-25-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: grammar

For some reason the grip looked funny to me, particularly on the left hand. There seems to be space between the bar and the upper palm of your hand. It might be better if someone with more experience could corroborate that, but that's something that stuck out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenright View Post
    For some reason the grip looked funny to me, particularly on the left hand. There seems to be space between the bar and the upper palm of your hand. It might be better if someone with more experience could corroborate that, but that's something that stuck out to me.
    Yeah, he's holding the bar with his wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jenright View Post
    Yeah, he's holding the bar with his wrist.

It looks like he starts off ok, but as he progresses, he curls his hand over the bar and pulls it down. It's as much a result of losing upper back tightness as of lack of control of grip.

I think you should try a wider stance.

To reiterate what has already been said.....At 6 feet (I'm 6' 2".) you do have to have a wider stance. Point your toes out. Push your knees out.

You know what else...

I hate squatting in front of a wall. Absolutely hate it. My propioception goes to absolute doo doo when I face a wall like you are. Either come out of the rack so you have some room OR turn around. This may help you with your propioception too.

Keep the bar path as vertical as possible.

I can see that every time you approach depth, your ASIS gets all crowded up because your stance is too narrow. You have to read and implement Active Hip 2.0 dood.

starting strength coach development program
    Like the others have said, widen your stance & point your toes out. I'm 6' 2" and had a bad habit of relaxing at the bottom and going too deep. I found that a wider stance has helped me keep everything tight and control my depth better. And move the pins to the other side of the rack and squat with your back to the wall, it looks like your face is rubbing the wall when you un-rack the weights...