starting strength gym

Thread: Question about the Valsalva maneuver

Default Question about the Valsalva maneuver

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    When performing the valsalva maneuver, are the abs supposed to be contracted in a way which pulls your pelvis and rib cage together or, are they suppoed to be 'sucked in', like you're trying to make your belly look smaller?

Tom

Don't suck in. Its not a push out either. Just a deep breath held in. It should naturally tighten your abs

When I do this my chest raises and I feel a slight contraction in my abs. But not like when I squeeze them hard. I have a tendancy to overextend on the way down in my squats, and as I initiate hip drive out of the hole.

You end up "contracting" your abs to some degree in the valsalva because you are pushing against the air in your lungs, but it's not the kind of contraction that causes you to hunch over or draw your chest and pelvis together. It's more like bracing for a hard punch to the gut.

Try it the next time you're on the toilet, and pay attention to what's going on.

I'm not actually joking about this -- difficult bowel movements are the most common experience most people have with Valsalva.