starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of style of clean to use in the clean and press

Default What kind of style of clean to use in the clean and press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello,

What kind of style of the clean would be best for the clean and press with the aspect of a) minimum energy used in the clean b) to get the best pre tension in the upper body, and correct elbow position.

Style 1; the press clean(no feet power clean with low elbow catch)

vs Style 2; the power clean(done like the clean(not as an upright row with a weak leg drive) but with a higher catch position)

The press clean will force more upper back work and consume energy but will put the elbows in a correct pressing position with tension in upper body and bar in front of the clavicule.

The power clean will whip the elbows up, hence the lifter has to readjust the elbows before the press(like in the clean for the jerk)

Which style would be the most economical ; Press clean with correct (perhaps even better) pressing position vs powerclean with less amount of energy spent before the start of the press.

Regards
    Daniel

By all means, do the Press Clean.

Quote Originally Posted by sunetdanne View Post
    Style 1; the press clean(no feet power clean with low elbow catch)
    I'd love to see a power clean done without using the feet. Care to demonstrate?

I just rack it with the elbows down. Catch it in the press position. It seems like at that point (the catch) everything is tight and primed, ready to go for press.

If you're going to press it, the weight should be such that the clean would be the easy part (or at least I hope it'd be this way).
    So the weight should be light enough to where the perfect clean and rack form wouldn't be so important/necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    He means a no jump/no hop/no moving the feet. . . . basically, you'd catch real high, almost standing. (I think )

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I just rack it with the elbows down. Catch it in the press position. It seems like at that point (the catch) everything is tight and primed, ready to go for press.

If you're going to press it, the weight should be such that the clean would be the easy part (or at least I hope it'd be this way).
    So the weight should be light enough to where the perfect clean and rack form wouldn't be so important/necessary.
    I saw someone doing something along these lines at the gym a few days ago. Basically he took the bar from the floor to overhead in one pause-free, anfractuous, motion with something similar to a catch included along the way up. The exercise seemed fraught with peril to my untrained eye. But the weight wasn't particularly heavy and he wasn't at risk of killing himself if things went bad, unfortunately.

I guess he means muscle-clean...or reverse curl...or...you don't have a rack, and you can't clean, so you pick up the bar from the ground and press it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

I saw someone doing something along these lines at the gym a few days ago. Basically he took the bar from the floor to overhead in one pause-free, anfractuous, motion with something similar to a catch included along the way up. The exercise seemed fraught with peril to my untrained eye. But the weight wasn't particularly heavy and he wasn't at risk of killing himself if things went bad, unfortunately.
    No. Just power clean it, catch it elbows down, and then press.
    Two separate movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Yes its called not feet clean its common used in Russian/East Europe form the 1980s, Urik Varadanien used that excersise along with no hip clean and snatch, and also along with no hook grip lifts.

Just have a look at how his son Norik does it :

https://www.facebook.com/VardanianWe...7849846352035/

starting strength coach development program
    Nope:

Not a muscle clean I ment a clean without moving the feets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast