starting strength gym

Thread: Right shoulder doing something weird

Default Right shoulder doing something weird

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach.

- Age, Gender, current training status:

20, male, 6' tall, ~190lbs, novice lifter (squat: 245x5, deadlift: 285x5, bench: 175x5, ohp: 120x5 - redoing LP after nursing a piriformis/external rotator injury)

- Chief Complaint:

My right arm has "collapsed" at the shoulder twice, once when throwing a basketball about a month ago (I don't play basketball often, I was just having fun post-workout), and once yesterday on the ab wheel while doing rollouts. I don't know what to call it - as far as I know, it creates no lasting damage, I am able to resume normal activity after a few seconds of wondering what the hell happened. I get some mild soreness in my right shoulder (rotator cuff maybe?) the next day.

- Narrative describing the mechanism of injury:

Basically my arm kind of pops/shifts/dislocates in its shoulder socket and it hurts for a little bit. When I test chins and presses right after it happens, I can do every movement with no impairment. When I was on the ab wheel, I rolled out the first rep to the end position and then my right arm popped at the shoulder and I fell off the roller. I was able to do more reps (5x5) afterwards.

- Pain (on a scale of 1-10):

Pain is about a 4-5 at the instant it happens, 1-2 after a few seconds, and a 1 the next day. I think the culprit is inverse rows using TRX straps (http://soccerfitacademy.files.wordpr...1/dsc00069.jpg). I do chins and pullups all the time with no issue. Out of maybe only 10 times in my life that I've done TRX rows, I've had this shoulder thing happen 2 times.

- Signs and Symptoms (describe what the area looks like....swelling, bruising, etc.) and describe briefly what you can or can't do as a result of the injury

No visual damage, no activity impairment after waiting for a few seconds.

Thanks beforehand,
    Sevag

I don't know. It happens when you place the joint capsule in a position where it sucks the head of the humerus out of the glenoid. Does it affect your barbell training?