starting strength gym

Thread: Ramped sets on the deadlift

Default Ramped sets on the deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

How do you feel about ramped sets of 3s and 5s? Say, for arguments sake, 3x70%,80%,90% of X. Let X = some kind of training max.

Cheers,
    Kreszentia

I feel that you should try it and see.

I have been doing it for about the last four months.

Before you ask:
    weight: 185
    I figured my starting point from a 335x3rm and a 350rm with a goal of hitting 405 this year.

At first it was great. The last month or so I just feel like I've been kicked in the dick on the 5s. The 3s are ... Eh.

I started thinking about your typical advice on deadlifts, which I think can be summed up as: 1 top end set. And I wondered if maybe I had reached the point where I was digging a hole for myself.

Or maybe just man up. Sometimes its hard to know.

Coach, you should really write a book or something so that everyone knows what program, sets, reps, etc. you recommend from your many years of training experience. I'm just saying that as evidenced by OP, we are confused.

Quote Originally Posted by kreszentia View Post
    Rip,

How do you feel about ramped sets of 3s and 5s? Say, for arguments sake, 3x70%,80%,90% of X. Let X = some kind of training max.

Cheers,
    Kreszentia
    You just described Wendler's 5/3/1.

I also do the last Deads of 3 reps as the 5s were fucking me up and screwing my head in due to hitting a few sticking points.

But when I hit a plateau I throttle back to a few weeks for 5s, then back up to shock the body. But I use more of a hybrid taken from Pract Prog and SS 3rd to improve my total and reduce bodyweight so not really doing the programme. However results are creeping up 2.5kg per week accros the board.

Age 41
    BW 92kg (reducing little by the week)
    Squat 200kg
    Bench 140kg
    Dead 220kg (been working on squat & Bench and this is flagging)

Quote Originally Posted by partyb View Post
    Coach, you should really write a book or something so that everyone knows what program, sets, reps, etc. you recommend from your many years of training experience. I'm just saying that as evidenced by OP, we are confused.
    Are you being snarky?

I'm 37. I've got three kids, a full time job, limited time in the gym, and a fucked pancreas. I have to fight like hell to hold my bodyweight at a healthy 185, because it wants to shit itself down to a sickly 165 (the pancreas).

Not everyone's path goes:
    1. Starting Strength
    2. Texas Method
    3. ?
    4. 500 pound deadlift.

If yours does (or did) then more power to you.

But if it's ok w/you, even though I've read both of Rip's books, I thought I'd ask him for advice anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by kreszentia View Post
    Are you being snarky?

I'm 37. I've got three kids, a full time job, limited time in the gym, and a fucked pancreas. I have to fight like hell to hold my bodyweight at a healthy 185, because it wants to shit itself down to a sickly 165 (the pancreas).

Not everyone's path goes:
    1. Starting Strength
    2. Texas Method
    3. ?
    4. 500 pound deadlift.

If yours does (or did) then more power to you.

But if it's ok w/you, even though I've read both of Rip's books, I thought I'd ask him for advice anyways.
    You must be fairly new here.

starting strength coach development program
    2009. But I take your point.