starting strength gym

Thread: First PL meet tomorrow

Default First PL meet tomorrow

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Well folks, here goes nothing. First USAPL meet tomorrow. I'll be competing raw/198. Openers will be the closest kg increment to 350/250/435. I'm trying to not focus on the numbers too much, but being a competitive person, I'm shooting for third attempts of 400/275/480. This past week of rest and recovery has made me very, very antsy.

I'll post a recap when I get a chance.. I'm sure its going to be a learning experience!

Good luck.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Good luck man!

Post up videos and all the tear jerking stuff. :P

Good luck! My first meet is in three weeks, so I'd appreciate any "oh by the way" type of advice you might figure out.

Well I got home not too long ago... the meet went well and I'm pleased with my performance ---- lots of room to improve though.

First thing I'll say is that a meet is a rewarding and very humbling experience. EVERYONE should do a meet, regardless of how strong or weak you think you are.

I weighed in a little lighter than I wanted - 194 in the 198 wt class. I went 8/9 - the only miss was getting buried by my 402 squat attempt. I set a PR bench at 275 (125kg) and PR deadlift at 474 (215kg). I also got some advice that was much appreciated - Beau if you read this, thank you!

The advice I have to give is:
    1) Enjoy the meet - you will be nervous but try to take it all in.
    2) Don't expect your warm ups to be perfect.... we had 17 (I think) guys warming up on 5 racks/benches.
    3) Be prepared to sit around... alot. I woke up at 5am, got to the meet at 645, meet got started at 915, and I didn't leave until 430pm... and I was in the first of two sessions. We had about 10-15 minutes between attempts and 1.5 hours between lifts.
    4) Bring food - see #3. Sitting around and waiting between heavy lifts will make you tired and hungry.
    5) The referees are there to help and really do want you to do well.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

starting strength coach development program
    Nice job, JT!