starting strength gym

Thread: Biceps injury, rehab?

Default Biceps injury, rehab?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I have some problems with my left biceps muscle, probably due to a rupture 3 months ago that I tried to ignore. Now it won’t heal and I’ve tried to take a month of working out but the pain comes back. I went to a physiotherapist that said he thought it was a trigger point in the muscle since the rupture, so I guess that might be the problem, but my guess would be that it’s some scar tissue that makes me re-injure myself all the time.

Anyhow, would the Bill Starr injury rehab method for muscle belly-injuries be worth a shot, and if so should I be doing curls? I don’t do them normally but pullups (wich is what makes my arm hurt the most) is hard to do light unless I use one of those lat pulldown machines. Would that be better than curls?

I guess this problem is pretty normal, do you have any thoughts of it? It feels like I’ve tried so many things now and I don’t want to just rest and hope it gets better, I want to be able to work out properly again. Like it is right now the only think I can do is squat.

I’m sorry if I don’t make any sense, english is my third language, but I would love to get your input on this.

And since this is my first post here I would like to thank you very much for writing these great books, I have both Starting Strength and Practical Programming and I think I would be totally lost when it comes to training if it hadn’t been for you.

Where is the pain in the arm? Be very precise.

I suppose this is the precise answer and it's not very precise. That is it varies a lot, mostly it's in the lower biceps (in and just above the bend of the arm), and sometimes it's at the muscle belly. In general, when I get sharp pain instantly from lifting something it's in or just above the bend of the arm, and when I get strong pain after let's say pullups it's also at the muscle belly. The pain I have when I'm resting in general is also the one in the lower biceps. The pain is also not just on the top of the muscle, it's all around but not everywhere at the same time. For example right now it only hurts on the outside of the arm, but yesterday the pain was more at the inside.

I drew this to describe it aswell:
    http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1...atomychart.png (the red is what I call the lower biceps and the black is what I call the muscle belly)

I hope that's specific enough. It's really hard to remember where the pain from a heavy set of pullups is since I haven't done them for so long, but this is what I remember.

The muscle belly was ruptured? How?

Probably. Allthough that's just what the physiotherapist assumed so I can't be 100 % sure. But there was one time where it could have happened where I was helping my grandmother throw out stuff, carried an old TV in a really weird way with pretty much one arm that made it hurt like hell instantly and since that I've had this pain. So I suppose that's how it was ruptured. However, I do not have a proper diagnosis from a real doctor, it's just what the physiotherapist assumed.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry, not enough info to even speculate.