starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Programming to shorten muscles

Default Programming to shorten muscles

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Apologies if this is covered in PP or SS, I've read through both and didn't see the answer, but it might just be reading failure on my part.

Short story, I want to shorten my Abs, to try to help with a horrible anterior pelvic tilt. My beltline drops down at about a 25 degree angle from the horizontal back to front.

Longer story, I've lost 100+ pounds and about a foot and a third circumference around my belly, and I think my Abs could use a little tightening now that they don't have a half foot or so of goo behind them stretching them out. In general, I'm not sure whether to do low rep or high rep ab accessory work after I finish with my main lifts and how often. I don't really care about appearance or strength per anything, I just want better alignment and posture, and was wondering about intensity, frequency, and volume.

There is no program for this, other than the one prescribed by mothers back in the day (and apparently missing from the education of most of the last 2 batches of American children) -- hold your stomach in, stand up straight.

Doesn't strengthening the hamstrings and glutes help as well? You should hit the whole core, abdominals, hamstrings, glutes, erectors, and hip flexors. Squats and deadlifts will hit all these areas.

This is not a matter of strength. It is a matter of getting out of sloppy habits.

Stef, Care to share on what sloppy habits to get rid of? This may help the OP a lot.

Standing with your belly loose, slouching, and assuming a posture that takes little work to maintain. Abs contract with weight loss since they are quite adaptable tissue. But a former fat guy will have to learn a different approach to standing, sitting, etc., and since he's already demonstrated the ability to take a different approach to his diet, this will not be an insurmountable task.

I have to say that some of this stuff seems like it will take care of itself as the OP, at least from my experience.

I haven't made a conscious effort to have better posture, but even the meager strength and mass gains I've made have made a big difference in how I carry myself when sitting and standing. So squat, deadlift, press, and so forth, while you're thinking about these things, and the changes you want to happen will almost certainly happen.

Stef, Care to share on what sloppy habits to get rid of?
    The not standing up straight and not holding the stomach in habits.

Did you skip post #2?

Additionally, stretch the hip flexors.

starting strength coach development program
    Why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast