starting strength gym

Thread: Thanks and see you in Atlanta

Default Thanks and see you in Atlanta

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Sir,
    Thank you for your considerable efforts helping others to learn. The books, the video, the DVD and the website are all valuable resources. The positive impact on my training has been profound.
    I am male, 47, and 225 lbs. My profession is security and law Enforcement and I have been resistance training my entire life. I discovered your works after what I thought was a career ending back injury several years ago.
    During a set of squats I felt an intense pain high in my back; I limped around for two days, convinced I had crippled my self. To further complicate, at the ripe old age of 44 I was scheduled to attend an Academy beginning several months after the injury. I already had some concerns about the physical conditioning at the academy as any significant slow long distant running has always resulted in issues.
    After finding your material on line, I started the Starr Rehab protocol as soon as I could stand it, and ordered your books. When I was able, I started with the novice progression. When I arrived at the Academy, I had no back pain and was making gains.
    At the academy, I was fortunate my main instructor trainer was a competent guy, with very strong feelings about wasting time on the track. The main focus on conditioning was during the officer response tactics (previously referred to as Defensive Tactics). Hard to believe, we spent time practicing and preparing to do the movements we needed to do, instead of running around in a circle. I cut my weight training to twice a week, because I noticed I was having recovery issues.
    The Starting Strength Novice progression had restored my back and made it stronger than before. In terms of strength, endurance, and flexibility, Starting Strength had prepared me completely for the Academy.
    Thank you Sir and I look forward to training at the seminar in Atlanta.

We're looking forward to being there. The Collonade's fried chicken is actually why we come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadeone View Post
    At the academy, I was fortunate my main instructor trainer was a competent guy, with very strong feelings about wasting time on the track. The main focus on conditioning was during the officer response tactics (previously referred to as Defensive Tactics). Hard to believe, we spent time practicing and preparing to do the movements we needed to do, instead of running around in a circle.
    Sounds like this particular instructor was one of the few who actually took the time to either think about, know, or study the time dynamics of this kind of thing. It's a little longer than the 1-3 seconds most armed engagements are over and done with, but well below anything requiring aerobic capacity. More like 5 to 30 seconds, and that upper range number is a stretch for all but very few unarmed engagements. Foot chases now are an entirely different critter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Sounds like this particular instructor was one of the few who actually took the time to either think about, know, or study the time dynamics of this kind of thing. It's a little longer than the 1-3 seconds most armed engagements are over and done with, but well below anything requiring aerobic capacity. More like 5 to 30 seconds, and that upper range number is a stretch for all but very few unarmed engagements. Foot chases now are an entirely different critter.
    But wouldn't you say a foot chase is more akin to a sprint than a 3K?

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine7954 View Post
    But wouldn't you say a foot chase is more akin to a sprint than a 3K?
    Usually it is yes. Actually more like a sprinting high and low hurdle with some steeplechase mixed in for the water hazards. Sometimes broken field running to avoid clotheslines too. Of course if you want to engage in a little police brutality you can deliberately draft the runner for a little to see if they hurl. I used that particular technique a few times with big drunks that I was sure I could go the distance with when I was in my 20's as a cop. The fight goes right out of them when they're doubled over emptying their stomach contents.

But your original point is well taken. There's just more than one way to skin a cat. I doubt even the ACLU could figure out a way to come up with a way to make that beef stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Of course if you want to engage in a little police brutality you can deliberately draft the runner for a little to see if they hurl.
    This is the best thing I've heard in a few days.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by warmachine7954 View Post
    This is the best thing I've heard in a few days.
    Go read the Campfire thread down in Ends and Pieces. This is merely a sample of some of the goings on there. Sully and I haven't posted in it in a while so it may be buried some pages deep.