starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas method template

Default Texas method template

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Not yet an intermediate but will soon be.
    I have read PPST and I am trying to set up a texas method template based on its guidelines and a template I found on wikia.
    My goal is to be a better boxer (will start boxing in june-july).
    As boxing relies primarily on power and endurance I have decided to include speed sets and some high rep sets.

Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
    Squat 3X5 , 2x15-20 (adding a rep each workout and then adding weight)
    Bench Press/Press 5X5
    Power cleans 8x3
    Dumbbell bench press/Dumbbell press 2x15-20 (adding a rep each workout and then adding weight)

Wednesday [Low Volume/Low Intensity]
    Front Squat 3x3
    Press/Bench Press 2X5 (@80% of 5RM)
    Back Extension/GHR 5x10
    Chin ups 3x5

Friday [Speed Sets]
    Squat, 8-12 doubles with 45-65% of 1RM (1 min. rest)
    Speed Bench Press/Press, 8-10 triples with 50-60% 1 RM (1 min. rest) (Alternating)
    Sumo deadlift, 6-10 singles with 40-50% 1RM (30 sec. rest)

Isn't it better to put the cleans in speed day btw ?
    Would have liked to include snatched but no bumpers and I guess it's real dangerous to do without them.

i don't like it

Might you suggest some adjustments ?

Good luck doing two sets of 15-20 reps on the squats.

Well first of all don't worry about speed and endurance. Just get strong and everything will fall into place.

Sets of 15-20 reps is possibly the worst thing you can do. It's great for adding mass, but it will not really get you any stronger. Stick to 5x5 or 8(sets)x3(reps). I personally love the latter and recommend it.

Your volume day is too crowded. Focus on only 2 or 3 movements only. You don't need that dumbbell stuff.

I would do power clean on light day instead. Since it's a very technical movement, being exhausted from the previous 2 lifts will impact it too much. Pair it up with front squats.

As for Friday, like I said, forget speed. Why are you doing doubles with 45-65% of 1RM? That's pointless. Do a heavy set of 5 or 3 reps or something. Set a PR every time.

Quote Originally Posted by exter View Post

Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
    Squat 3X5 , 2x15-20 (adding a rep each workout and then adding weight)
    Bench Press/Press 5X5
    Power cleans 8x3
    Dumbbell bench press/Dumbbell press 2x15-20 (adding a rep each workout and then adding weight)
    This day is fubar. If you want to focus on higher rep sets (though I'm not convinced you should be) I would have you do 3x8, and leave it at that. I think the volume is a little high on the power cleans. I prefer singles or doubles on them, also. The dumbell bench/press are pretty weak assistance choices. If you need more volume (and i dont think you do) I would look at dips or incline dumbells.

Front Squat 3x3
    Back Extension/GHR 5x10
    Chin ups 3x5
    Front squats dont work so well as recovery, especially if youre strong at them. I recommend the standard 2x5 at 80% or your working weight.
    This is recovery day, why more stress on posterior chain (referring to back extension/ghr - I would take them out). Chins are fine. But, since you're concerned about power, how does power cleans on monday and power snatches on wednesday sound? If you did that you could take out the chins.

Friday [Speed Sets]
    Squat, 8-12 doubles with 45-65% of 1RM (1 min. rest)
    Speed Bench Press/Press, 8-10 triples with 50-60% 1 RM (1 min. rest) (Alternating)
    Sumo deadlift, 6-10 singles with 40-50% 1RM (30 sec. rest)
    I cant think of a single person thats had a successful run with DE stuff on TM intensity days. I'm not saying it cant work, but if you're just starting TM, I would stick to something a bit more traditional, at least for the first couple months. And why sumo?

Would have liked to include snatched but no bumpers and I guess it's real dangerous to do without them.
    Power snatches arent terribly dangerous without bumpers.
    Last edited by scoppi; 02-26-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoppi View Post
    I cant think of a single person thats had a successful run with DE stuff on TM intensity days. I'm not saying it cant work, but if you're just starting TM, I would stick to something a bit more traditional, at least for the first couple months. And why sumo?
    I was thinking about doing DE stuff for friday on TM but I don't see anyone around here doing that, can your share you experience with the matter?
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 02-26-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I was thinking about doing DE stuff for friday on TM but I don't see anyone around here doing that, can you share you experience with the matter?
    My experience is limited to logs on this forum - so its not like im exactly a fountain of knowledge. But when i was reading through a ton of logs about 6 months back to compare peoples progress on 5/3/1 and TM, I saw a few people give DE stuff a shot, but then switch back after a few weeks after not really feeling like it was going to be beneficial.

My thought on it is that people switch over after theyve been pounding themselves with the 5x5 and 5RM, and switching to the speed sets reduces the overall volume, which can get thinks started again for a brief bit, but not actually address the real problem, which is getting the volume day to work for you.

I'll see if i can find any of those logs. And to everyone else: if youve run DE on the TM intensity day, chime in.

How can I emphasize the endurance aspect without high rep sets?
    Endurance is very important in boxing I really need to work on that.
    I thought 15-20 sets were for endurance while 8-12 were for (sarcoplasmic) hypertrophy and should , by the logic , be avoided by athletes.
    I have always thought of high rep squatting as a painful but very effective thing as it is claimed to enhance even cardiovascular capacities and it probably does wonders for your muscular endurance , doesn't it ?
    Speed sets are advocated by Mark Rippetoe for intermediate athletes seeking mainly speed and power , you sure it doesn't work ?
    I also need speed as it is VERY important in boxing.
    So recovery day would be this

8x2 power snatches
    8x2 power cleans (I have really neglected these two , the power clean at least during the novice phase so I'll need to learn them)
    Squat 2x5 @ 80%

I am still confused about Monday and Friday.
    I shouldn't just get stronger in the intermediate phase , should I? It's time to be a bit more specific.
    Last edited by exter; 02-26-2011 at 05:20 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by scoppi View Post
    My experience is limited to logs on this forum - so its not like im exactly a fountain of knowledge. But when i was reading through a ton of logs about 6 months back to compare peoples progress on 5/3/1 and TM, I saw a few people give DE stuff a shot, but then switch back after a few weeks after not really feeling like it was going to be beneficial.

My thought on it is that people switch over after theyve been pounding themselves with the 5x5 and 5RM, and switching to the speed sets reduces the overall volume, which can get thinks started again for a brief bit, but not actually address the real problem, which is getting the volume day to work for you.

I'll see if i can find any of those logs. And to everyone else: if youve run DE on the TM intensity day, chime in.
    I have some weird recovery problem on my quads that seems to be aggravated by high volume or high intensity workouts. I can do volume but only if I take it easy the rest of the week, and when I tried DE box squats it seemed to work well for my problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast