starting strength gym

Thread: Starting weights in SS

Default Starting weights in SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi everybody,

A bit of background, you can skip the paragraph to get to the point. I'm French, 1m82 (so 5'11), 89kg (196lbs). Former rugby player, stopped in 2005 due to bad shoulder injury, switched to long distances running to "stay in shape", never really worked. I discovered CrossFit six months ago, had fun with it and lost a bit of weight, and I'm now really interested in getting stronger. So I'm planning to start SS as soon as I receive the squat rack I just ordered.

If I'm not mistaken, in SS, after learning proper form on the squat with the empty bar, you perform sets of five, adding 10-15kg each set to the point where adding weight will alter form. That would be around 75-80kg (165-175lbs) for me. And this is the starting weight. Same for press: 35-40kg to me - ~80lbs, weak as hell up there... For the DL, it's written that there is no reason to start heavier than 135lbs. Seems very light to me, so I'm wondering: is this the weight with which you learn proper form, and then move on to find your starting point, or is this the starting weight of your LP?

If I may have your thoughts on another vital question: I'm ordering the DVD, and I've got a bit left for something else. Would you recommend Strong Enough? or Mean Ol' Mr. Gravity?

Thanks for your answers,

Y.

Mean Ol' Mr. Gravity is the way to go, packed to the gills with good stuff, will last you a long time. Strong Enough is a good read but way too short, I finished it in a day or two. Bill Starr's Defying Gravity is also a must-buy imo, for future reference.

If 135 is very light for you on deadlift, then don't hesitate to add weight in the same way as with the other lifts. A lot of people actually have more trouble ironing out deadlift form errors when the weight is too light.