starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of quick questions regarding novice programming

Question Couple of quick questions regarding novice programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Right now I'm doing the second novice routine from PPST 3rd edition, but I'm looking ahead to the third phase, when deadlifts get rotated with power cleans and chins etc are added. But I have a couple of quick questions...

Back extensions... my gym doesn't have a back extension bench so my options are:
    a) barbell good mornings or
    b) back extension machine or
    c) skip it altogether.
    Which option would be best? I'm thinking good mornings with a light weight...

Next question is whether to do chins (ala Onus Wunsler) or chins rotated with pullups (PPST)? I tried a set of chins after my last workout and managed 5 reps ok. Next I tried pullups and struggled to get 1 rep. Does it matter if pullups are added/left out?

Thanks!

I think you can just choose the options that you like best and are motivated to do. With any of these options you are still going to be squatting, pressing, benching, deadlifting, cleaning, and chining. That is what counts most. In your shoes, I'd pick good mornings and no pull-ups. Add pull-ups when your chins get a bit stronger.

Romanian Deadlifts are a good option for back assistance work too, in the absense of a back ext bench

Aren't those more for hamstrings?

No more than good mornings.

A "back extension" done correctly involves no extension of the actual lumbar - the back muscles stabilise only, and the hamstrings/glutes pull the hips to get the movement. This (as far as I'm aware) is a nearly identical movement to RDL, GM, Reverse hyper (RH's don't involve shear on the spine however) etc

Someone pls correct me if i'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Justinnnnnn View Post
    A "back extension" done correctly involves no extension of the actual lumbar - the back muscles stabilise only, and the hamstrings/glutes pull the hips to get the movement. This (as far as I'm aware) is a nearly identical movement to RDL, GM, Reverse hyper (RH's don't involve shear on the spine however) etc

Someone pls correct me if i'm wrong
    You can have the spinal erectors work isometrically or dynamically in a back extension if you want.

Ok that makes sense. Would there be any benefit to rotating good mornings with Romanian deadlifts? Or am I better just picking one?

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    You can have the spinal erectors work isometrically or dynamically in a back extension if you want.
    But my point was, a "correct" back extension is always isometric, intentional rounding and pulling is a recipe for disaster, even if unweighted. Trust me, the pain and rehab needed from a herniated disc is not worth it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulcor View Post
    Ok that makes sense. Would there be any benefit to rotating good mornings with Romanian deadlifts? Or am I better just picking one?
    I don't like that you've stolen part of my name.

Anyway, I just did GMs and stuck with it during a stretch when I was injured and not squatting. Working up to 155lb straight back GMs 3x5 helped a great deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast