starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a break from Starting Strength.

Default Taking a break from Starting Strength.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm starting the SS program again on Monday after a lay off with a back injury. I only got to week 4 last time before I put my back out. Thing is that I'm going on a 2 week holiday at the beginning of September.

I'm 5 foot 9" in height and weigh 162 pounds. My bodyfat is about 15-16% atm. I'm not obsessive about my bodyfat or anything but I'd like to be able to cut for the last 3-4 weeks before the holiday so I can get back down to 16% for the beach and stuff.

Can I pick back up where I left off when I return? Am I going to hurt my progress by not following the program properly?

Man, you are going to drive people all kinds of crazy with your post.

You can't pick up where you left off when you return.

You will hurt your progress by not following the program.

I'm probably considered underweight at 5'8" and 170, by most standards on this forum. I'm between 13% to 14% bodyfat.

That being said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you really need to put on some muscle. I'm not saying that to be mean, but if you are 162 at that height and think you are at 15% bodyfat, bring your damn muscle up to change your ratio of muscle to fat before worrying about cutting fat. Seriously. You'll look better. You can probably add some muscle without changing your weight much - of course then YNDTFP - I'm just saying.

What was that last abreviation

If I'm not mistaken, YNDTFP = You're Not Doing The Fucking Program.

You're Not doing the F'ing program.

Quote Originally Posted by ryujon View Post
    I'd like to be able to cut for the last 3-4 weeks before the holiday so I can get back down to 16% for the beach and stuff.
    Really? ... dude, seriously. Just start lifting, and do the program right when your serious and motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by yorick View Post
    Man, you are going to drive people all kinds of crazy with your post.

You can't pick up where you left off when you return.

You will hurt your progress by not following the program.

I'm probably considered underweight at 5'8" and 170, by most standards on this forum. I'm between 13% to 14% bodyfat.

That being said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you really need to put on some muscle. I'm not saying that to be mean, but if you are 162 at that height and think you are at 15% bodyfat, bring your damn muscle up to change your ratio of muscle to fat before worrying about cutting fat. Seriously. You'll look better. You can probably add some muscle without changing your weight much - of course then YNDTFP - I'm just saying.
    Yeah I kinda knew really at the back of my mind that cutting mid program wasn't the best idea and that I would hurt my progress. Sorry if anyone threw their pc out the window while reading this post. Just needed someone to tell me I was being retarded so it would sink in.

I'm going to start the program and follow it though to the end. Going to start a log on Monday. Cheers yorick.

Just to reinforce what Yorick said, I just returned from 3+ months off due to an injury. It wasn't a leg/back injury but it kept me from squatting. When I left I had just recently done 270lbs 5x3 squat. When I came back, I had to start at 185. 85lbs loss. I may have been able to start slightly higher, but then I would've stalled sooner. When I came back the weight felt horrible. I actually wish I had started a little lower just to ease back into it a little.

You don't say what your numbers are but if you take off even more time than I did, you're going to be about half as strong as you were.

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    Just to reinforce what Yorick said, I just returned from 3+ months off due to an injury. It wasn't a leg/back injury but it kept me from squatting. When I left I had just recently done 270lbs 5x3 squat. When I came back, I had to start at 185. 85lbs loss. I may have been able to start slightly higher, but then I would've stalled sooner. When I came back the weight felt horrible. I actually wish I had started a little lower just to ease back into it a little.

You don't say what your numbers are but if you take off even more time than I did, you're going to be about half as strong as you were.
    It doesn't quite work like that. You'll regain most of the strength back much quicker than it took to gain the first time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    It doesn't quite work like that. You'll regain most of the strength back much quicker than it took to gain the first time.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to. I never commented on the rate that strength is regained after time off. I only stated that he will be starting over at a much lower weight after an extended period of time off, reinforcing what others told him about not starting where he left off. I'm not sure what you're arguing. Do you feel that if he currently squats 250lbs(example), that after an almost 4 month break he will still squat 250lbs his first workout?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast