starting strength gym

Thread: Combining SS with isolation

Default Combining SS with isolation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey,

I searched this thread but haven't found anything eventhough i would think it would be there so sorry if this is an often asked question!
    I have been looking into the SS program alot and am planning on buyung SS2nd edition. And on other forums this was oftenly combined with say on day A you do 2 isolation exercises or even 1 of biceps, B triceps.
    But my question for you people who know more about the SS program than on the other site, is this:
    a)usefull
    or
    b)waste of time
    or doese anyone have a different thought?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senses View Post
    Hey,

I searched this thread but haven't found anything eventhough i would think it would be there so sorry if this is an often asked question!
    I have been looking into the SS program alot and am planning on buyung SS2nd edition. And on other forums this was oftenly combined with say on day A you do 2 isolation exercises or even 1 of biceps, B triceps.
    But my question for you people who know more about the SS program than on the other site, is this:
    a)usefull
    or
    b)waste of time
    or doese anyone have a different thought?

Thanks
    You look like a troll, b/c this thing (modifying the PROGRAM) and adding isolation moves has been beaten to death. And from the post your native language is not English I guess...
    Anyway, there are no isolation exercises in SS. The program is very simple:
    A: Squat/Bench/Deads
    B: Squat/Press/P.Clean

You workout 3x a week, and that's it. I can tell you one thing: it's the best program out there for novices (and you ARE a novice). I don't know what other site you're referring to, but I suggest you buy the BOOK (regardless of your decision to start THE PROGRAM or not) and decide for yourself on what you're gonna do.
    Last edited by Rezart Erindi; 06-06-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    You look like a troll, b/c this thing (modifying the PROGRAM) and adding isolation moves has been beaten to death. And from the post your native language is not English I guess...
    Anyway, there are no isolation exercises in SS. The program is very simple:
    A: Squat/Bench/Deads
    B: Squat/Press/P.Clean

You workout 3x a week, and that's it. I can tell you one thing: it's the best program out there for novices (and you ARE a novice). I don't know what other site you're referring to, but I suggest you buy the BOOK (regardless of your decision to start THE PROGRAM or not) and decide for yourself on what you're gonna do.
    Yea i know im from belgium, and the site the dutch site was insisting on putting a few isolation excersices in the program. I know the workout that wasn't my question. But from your answer it is fair to assume you don't recommend it, are somewhat neutral about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Senses View Post
    Yea i know im from belgium, and the site the dutch site was insisting on putting a few isolation excersices in the program. I know the workout that wasn't my question. But from your answer it is fair to assume you don't recommend it, are somewhat neutral about it.
    I'm not neutral, I'm against it. I suggest you don't screw with the program. Try it for some months, reap the benefits of the novice progression. After that you'll have learned a lot of things, and than can decide for yourself what's the mext step in your training. Buying SS is the best money you'll ever spend for yourself and your training. Good luck.

1. Buy the book

2. Dont do extra shit, the whole point of the program is the simplicity and focus on full lifts which can be trained hard and often for a novice for the fastest possible progress.

3. Once you have finished SS, go do you isolation if you feel you need it.

I do curlz and v-handle lat pulldowns. And pushups (small sets) throughout the day. Boo hoo.

Bench pressing and overhead pressing will hit your triceps pretty hard, and after a few weeks SS adds in chin-ups as assistance, which will hit your biceps.

I've tried messing with the PROGRAM and adding in barbell curls once or twice a week, but I found they didn't make a lick of difference to either my arm size or my overall strength. Eventually I dropped them. In general, isolation exercises won't let you handle as much weight and will have to be reset more frequently.

To paraphrase Rip, if you're doing isolation work, you've missed the point of the book. It's all there in SS2nd Ed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Bench pressing and overhead pressing will hit your triceps pretty hard, and after a few weeks SS adds in chin-ups as assistance, which will hit your biceps.

I've tried messing with the PROGRAM and adding in barbell curls once or twice a week, but I found they didn't make a lick of difference to either my arm size or my overall strength. Eventually I dropped them. In general, isolation exercises won't let you handle as much weight and will have to be reset more frequently.

Yea i was planning on just doing the program but considering there was alot on the dutch site about doing the SS programm combining it with an additional exercise, i got confused and thats what i wanted to share these toughts with people who actually know more about it.