starting strength gym

Thread: What to do when forced to miss training days?

Default What to do when forced to miss training days?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ive searched here with no luck and I'm only a few pages into the book. I have a question regarding days when you are forced to miss training. For me this scenario will happen quite often due to my work.

I'm early into SS. I'm doing M/W/F training days. I'm unfortunately not going to be able to train tomorrow(wednesday) but I can train today. Is it better to train today(I lifted yesterday) and skip a recovery day or should I move training days this week to Thursday & Saturday to avoid training 2 days in a row?

Hopefully my question makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hain View Post
    Ive searched here with no luck and I'm only a few pages into the book. I have a question regarding days when you are forced to miss training. For me this scenario will happen quite often due to my work.

I'm early into SS. I'm doing M/W/F training days. I'm unfortunately not going to be able to train tomorrow(wednesday) but I can train today. Is it better to train today(I lifted yesterday) and skip a recovery day or should I move training days this week to Thursday & Saturday to avoid training 2 days in a row?

Hopefully my question makes sense.
    Thursday and Saturday will work fine. Otherwise, if you really need to skip a day on occasion, just skip it. Don't double up and train on back-to-back days.

My opinion from a pretty novice perspective (and age, height/weight and lifts would probably be helpful in answering this.)

If you're JUST starting out and the weights are still light you may be able to train back to back days and be fully recovered but once squats are a sincere effort for you, you won't be fully recovered and supercompensated within 24 hours and it's going to be awful hard to go in and add 5 or 10 lbs a day later.

If I miss a training day I just train the next day. I've found it helpful to do three days of every other as much as possible so if I end up missing a day then I treat that like my "weekend."

Example:

I usually train Sun / Tuesday / Thurs

If I miss Thursday I'll train Fri/Sun/Tues until I miss another workout and get back to Sun/Tu/Th. If I'm feeling good and well recovered I might do four back to back workouts Fri/Su/Tu/Th and get back on my regular schedule that way.

Thanks all... Im going to play it safe and skip a day. I appreciate the help.