starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a power rack!!

Default Finally got a power rack!!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Thanks to my new job, I now had the funds to get the cage I have been wanting. Yay!!!
    So much better to use this then what I was using. I now have safty bars!!!!!

Next on my list to get is a better bar.

Congrats !!

That piece of paneling looks like it would be slippery

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Congrats !!
    Thanks, I've wanted this thing for awhile now.

That piece of paneling looks like it would be slippery
    It's not. My shoes feel pretty solid on it.
    It's not the best option or pleasing to look at, but right now it works.

It came free with the house.lol

I got my whole set up about three weeks ago and I love it. Since I had a lot of Visa points I also got a flat panel TV in the garage hooked to an over the air antenna. I really like not waiting on the squat rack or bench and no worries that I take 8 minutes between sets!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    Thanks, I've wanted this thing for awhile now.

It's not. My shoes feel pretty solid on it.
    It's not the best option or pleasing to look at, but right now it works.

It came free with the house.lol
    That flooring looks familiar. Is it cheap, soft stuff from Amazon? If so, you'd be better off getting rid of it and putting the rack and everything else on the concrete. That is concrete, right? That foam stuff is junk. (I have some under my pull up bar because it is so low I might bang my knees if I slip.) I wouldn't think of putting a rack on it. It's not even going to absorb much shock from deadlifts. The cheap mats from Home Depot work much better for deadlifts. If that's the flooring I think it is, I'd throw it out and get rid of that duck taped piece of paneling.

That's right SteveL. I get to listen to the music I want to, and sometimes get to workout with my son. He has his little set up to the right where I took the pic. He is only seven so his dosnt take up that much space.

iamsmutsthe foam stuff is from academy. Probably the same stuff from amazon. Yes it's concrete under the mat. You think I'd be better off just putting every thing on the concrete. Yeah that duck taped paneling does look a little redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post

iamsmutsthe foam stuff is from academy. Probably the same stuff from amazon. Yes it's concrete under the mat. You think I'd be better off just putting every thing on the concrete. Yeah that duck taped paneling does look a little redneck.
    I think it's the same stuff. Ya it's ugly, but that's not the main worry. Even with that paneling in place, it must still sink a bit under load. Same with your bench. I tried putting a bench on that foam stuff and it felt very unstable. It would list a bit like a boat. And the rack will surely sink in and lean a bit when you load up the bar. If the concrete is fairly smooth, scrap the mats. You'll be more stable on the concrete.

A lot of people buy horse stall mats from tracker supply. They are dense, hard, and heavy, nothing at all like that foam stuff. But concrete is fine for most purposes. You can put some kind of rubber mat off to the side for deadlifts and cleans. It works fine.

Apache Mills 24 in. x 36 in. Black Recycled Rubber Commercial Door Mat-60-060-9501-20000300 - The Home Depot

These work well upside down and they are only $8.

This is a picture from before I leveled the floor, but it shows the general setup. Concrete in the middle with some mats on the side to protect the plates more so than the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Cool. I think I'm going to go that route. I had those mates for when I was doing circuit training excersises, and jumping rope.

Thanks for the advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast