starting strength gym

Thread: Wate-Man Squat Rack

Default Wate-Man Squat Rack

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Does anyone know anything about these racks? Someone in my area is selling one on CL, but I can't find any info on the interwebs. Here is the listing:

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/spo/5279665874.html

I don't know anything about Wate-Man, but it looks like a basic steel channel welded construction. Promaxima currently sells something similar for $500ish plus shipping new (FW-28A). Don't quote me, but I believe the Promaxima uses smaller channel than the current "Rippetoe" racks. Can't tell on this one. It may not matter to you, but aftermarket accessories will be limited without going custom.

I'm sure it's solid enough, and I personally love the vintage look of steel channel racks, but at $350 without the weights I would keep looking.

For $50 more you can buy a new Titan HD (shipped). For another $30 you can get the spotter arms, so you don't have to use knurl killing pipe safeties. It comes with jhooks that are UHMW lined. And you can set the hooks on the front of the rack, which I doubt you can do on that Wate-Man. Also, the Titan HD doesn't have a rear cross-member, which will get in the way if you want to do incline bench press on that side of the rack.

Thanks for your input guys. I actually went to take a look at this rack yesterday and I came to similar conclusions. It did seem fairly solid and I also like the look of the c-channel construction, but a big drawback to the design is that it is too short to overhead press in and the the flat side of the c-channel uprights face the inside of the rack, so I wouldn’t have been able to attach the j-hooks to the front of the rack for pressing. So needless to say, I decided to pass, but I did pick up a Parabody flat bench that the guy was also selling. I’ll likely either go with the Titan HD or just pick something up from Rogue on black Friday.

The old C-channel style racks are worth $150 on the used market, across the entire continental US.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    The old C-channel style racks are worth $150 on the used market, across the entire continental US.
    Thanks, this is good to know. I'm definitely glad I decided to pass.