starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Bar vs High Bar Overhead Throwers

Default Low Bar vs High Bar Overhead Throwers

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Lately I've felt a decent amount of discomfort in my right hand shoulder and the onset of the stiffness/discomfort correlates with when I began Low Bar Back Squatting. I don't want to instantly blame the LBBS because it could be that I have a form flaw and that is what is causing me the discomfort. I will attach one video of myself LBBSing so you are free to let me know if it is a form issue causing me the discomfort. Also I would like to know if it would greatly limit strength development if I performed a High Bar or Modified Version of the squat? Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

https://youtu.be/5WeG_qpmHwU
    Last edited by B-MoreBeast; 11-07-2015 at 10:57 AM.

To clarify the stiffness and discomfort is in the shoulder socket and it is interfering with my daily throwing routine. If needed I can take video of my grip from any variety of angles that would most benefit evaluation for this problem.

Form check videos are most successful with a set of 5 at your current working weight. I can see only that your squat needs work and that, like me, you've had to start the LBBS with your hands fairly far apart to accommodate your current shoulder ROM in that plane.

And always remember there's a difference between "discomfort" and injury. Stretching is very painful but most people don't leap to the thought that it's injurious - except when there's a barbell involved.

And you said "throwing". Are we talking about baseball, football or shot/discus/hammer/caber?

Baseball. I perform fairly high volume and intensity workouts about 4-5 times a week with lighter "recovery days" coming 2-3 times a week. I'm very proactive with my mobility work so the shoulder socket "discomfort" is worrying because with the velocities I'm throwing at injury can occur very easily if something is out of whack with my rotator cuff or shoulder socket. I 100% agree that my form needs work but I'm curious about where my current form is causing the discomfort or if it is the nature of LBBSing. Thanks for your time and advice.

How about a video of your press? Where are you at with that?

And these "fairly high volume and intensity workouts" - are we talking throwing sessions of high volume and intensity or is that in reference to your lifting program? It'd also help if you could flesh out these "lighter recovery days" and what that entails.

And lastly - do you have a competent throwing coach who's able to analyze both your pitching mechanics and actively manage your weekly volume?

I'm actually about to start pressing so it's not that. My trainer(s) on the baseball side are probably the best around in maximizing arm strength and health. The workload I do is designed to be in line with my goals and I've been on the program for just over a year now without any issues. The shoulder socket "discomfort/stiffness" only came up when I started LBBSing. My workouts consist of wrist weights, bands, rolling, long toss, throwing Plyo balls, throwing weighted balls, corrective exercise, and lifting. Recovery days are light long toss or none, Plyo balls done at a lower intensity and volume, and a good deal of bands, rolling, and corrective exercise. I'm pretty doubtful that the throwing program is the cause but I won't close the book on anything until I can be pretty darn sure it is one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MoreBeast View Post
    I'm actually about to start pressing so it's not that.
    It could be just that. You may find your shoulder doesn't hurt as much, or at all, once you do.

Dude, your squat form/mechanics are all whacked.

Visit one of the very, very competent SS coaches in your area. No one here is going to be able to fix what's wrong using video form checks.

starting strength coach development program
    It probably has come to that. I'll contact a local coach today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast