starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snatch - Too much bar loop?

Default Snatch - Too much bar loop?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,
    Hit a PR on the snatch a little while ago (90kg), and during warm ups another gym goer said when I extended the bar swung away from me. I agreed, but couldn't really tell if it happens excessively on this attempt. Could you take a look?

Sorry about the quality. Lift starts at :35 sec or so.

http://youtu.be/J7_skIWDlho

Yeah, that's a loop. Classic symptom of the wrong mental picture of the snatch. You do not swing the bar overhead, like a kettlebell. You pull the bar overhead. Like a snatch. I discuss this in the power snatch video.

Thanks for the response. So, what now? Do I relearn it more like a jump? Is it something I'm doing with my hips or my arms that's fucking me up?

Did you watch the video?

I did. I suppose if I learned it that way to begin with (as the guy in the vid never snatched before, right?) I'd be alright, but seeing as how I may have to unlearn something, I'm wondering what things I have to "unthink".

Start from scratch. Lay the new movement pattern over the old one. It will be difficult due to the overlap, but easier than trying to pick a piece of the old one to unfuck. The most important cue is to keep the bar close to the shirt on the way up.

Does loop happen from jumping too early? Like in the clean if you too early it bounces off the thighs?

Yes, his snatch is coming off the thighs, which accounts for part of the loop. The bar should hit you in the lap, between pubis and ASIS. Wait till it's there to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Start from scratch. Lay the new movement pattern over the old one. It will be difficult due to the overlap, but easier than trying to pick a piece of the old one to unfuck. The most important cue is to keep the bar close to the shirt on the way up.
    Could snatch pulls be a way to get the feeling for correct bar path?

starting strength coach development program
    So in addition to the shirt cue I should be waiting a little longer than I think I should to jump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast