starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello all,

I've been squatting with a narrow stance due to a left hip pain. I got up to about 235lbs doing the program. Then, my knees started to hurt so I switched back to shoulder width and dropped the weights to 135lbs. I am assuming the previous narrow stance negatively affected my knees. However, my knees hurt after each session now with the shoulder width stance, and it's been a month. I would really appreciate a form check.

Most recent squat @ 205lbs 3rd set:

YouTube

If it's the patellar tendon(on the front) then it's probably because you are loading the knees too much. Box squatting can really help with this issue IME.

You might try to go a little slower and widen the stance some. Try box squatting and please try to use a proper rack. Squatting without a spotter or a rack is dangerous. Last thing I want to see is you get a cramp suddenly and end up injured.

Hi J. Yoo!

So this isn't anything to do with your knee pain, but the bar is a little low on your back. We want it directly jammed up against the spine of the scapula. Do you know how to find that? Also do you have lifting shoes?

As far as the knee pain goes... Did you have a period after switching the stance back that the pain went away? Or has it been persistent ever since using the narrow stance?