starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

Several months ago I developed a pretty severe tendonitis in my right shoulder and elbow and had to temporarily give up the low bar squats and I picked up high bar in the meantime. These low bars were very light (only my third session back), but they felt very smooth and natural, compared to high bar which was always awkward. However I want to make sure my hip drive is adequate, as I have been high barring for a few months now, and may have picked up a few bad habits...

I believe the reason for my tendonitis was carrying the bar too low on my back, so the most important question I have is if my current rack position is correct? I just want to get the SSCA seal of approval before I move on to heavier weights.

Thanks for taking the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yva1t7gk5...56.38.mov?dl=0

(Second link if embed doesn't work)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yva1t7gk5...56.38.mov?dl=0

It does look like you got used to keeping a more vertical torso and are still trying to do so. Lean over a bit more on the way down, and control your descent more. Don't "fall in" i.e. let the weight shove you down into the hole. Lean over, control your descent, and when you're just below parallel, drive your hips back up hard.

Thanks for the feedback. I think Rip's article this week was written specifically for me, and the "nipples to the floor" cue was good, so I tried it out. I tried to control my descent better on some reps, but on others it looks like I got maybe a little loose. I also made an effort to look down at a spot a little closer in front of me.

Please forgive me for uploading all three sets, but every rep was just a little different, and I wasn't sure which set would be most informative for coaching purposes. I also noticed I was way to deep on the first two sets, so I tried to cut it off a little higher on set 3. However, I still feel like I'm missing out on hip drive - any glaringly obvious fixes?

Thanks again!

Set 1: Rear quarter

Set 2: Side

Set 3: Rear Quarter

Third set was better. In the first two, you're still trying to stay too vertical and going too deep. The bar is behind mid-foot, and your knees move a little at the bottom. Each on its own is a small and easily correctable thing, but added up they make your squat a lot less efficient. The last set actually looks pretty good. Get all your sets towards that model, and you'll be fine.