starting strength gym

Thread: Two knee surgeries; Recovered?

Default Two knee surgeries; Recovered?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Last year I tore the lateral meniscus of my left knee. In June I had arthroscopic surgery to repair it. In August, I tore it again. I had the second surgery in Sep. I have, what I'm told, is 75% of my lateral meniscus remaining. It's now been about five months since my last surgery. I can run with no problem, I can squat high or low bar, I can clean, I can snatch and I can deadlift. Frequently I have what I would call "nagging" pain, but nothing debilitating and nothing that makes me think I should "take it easy". My question is, should I expect there to come a day when the knee blows out again? Should I forever be awaiting the next "pop"?

Anyone with knee surgery experience, I'd love to hear your story.

You will of course be more susceptible to injuring that knee.

All you can do is train SMART and hope for the best, listen to what your body is telling you.

Many things can help you but I don't know what you are willing to do. Growth hormone, testosterone, adequan, dextrose, sodium morrhuate, and other proliferants regularly injected into the knee will help.

Squatting and Deadlifting will strengthen the muscles that surround and support the knee. Most ligament and menisical tears happen with a combination of pressure and lateral or medial motion such as posting and turning in basketball. If you avoid those motions while you are basically rehabing your knee using barbell exercises you should be alright. I would expect, however as you age to get arthritis in your knee (around 40 is when it seems to pop up in most people) which would present with a lot of the same symptoms you had when your originally injured it (popping, clicking, pain, sometimes instability of the joint). That is normal and your surgeon and doctor should have warned you about it.