starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Lat/Scapula/Trap/Teres Major/T-Spine Pull/Strain/Knot

Default Left Lat/Scapula/Trap/Teres Major/T-Spine Pull/Strain/Knot

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The title says it all. I have no idea what or where the actual pain is coming from.

It started with stiffness and soreness, but then I also felt it kind of cramp up with the bar on my back while squatting.

Holding a dumb bell with my left hand exacerbates it (scapular depression?). Tilting my left shoulder forward/rotating at all at my t-spine also causes a sharp pain that extends to the front side.

Any suggestions to relieve or clear up the issue? I've tried a lacross ball, rumble roller, foam roller, etc to see if I can loosen up soft tissue. I've done some lat stretches, EQI stretching, breathing drills... as well as some t-spine mobility work.

I haven't made any progress on my own yet..

Try this: http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/09/s...der-fixes.html

I like to use a smith machine because you can raise and lower the bar to hit from different angles. Work all around the scap, traps, etc. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by danradin View Post
    Try this: http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/09/s...der-fixes.html

I like to use a smith machine because you can raise and lower the bar to hit from different angles. Work all around the scap, traps, etc. Hope this helps.
    Thanks.. I'll give it a shot. I think he might be right about freeing the top rib. But I'm not sure my overhead mobility is affected right now (and in fact, no pain from it either)

I try to do the barbell smash thing about once a week. It's not just good for overhead stuff; it frees the scap and traps if you drop the bar down lower, (which is why I like a Smith or Freedom Rack for this) stand up into it bent at the waist, and work the whole outline of the scap. I do the armpit too. I can video if you need.

Please do danradin.

I've been having the same sort of nagging issue that gtl has. I can do a number of things without pain, but when I snatch I feel it. I'll give the video you posted a shot but I'd like to see what exactly you're recommending.

I have a similar issue which occurs just under my left scapula on the medial side. It gets very tight and knotty there, you can actually hear clicks and it is sore and affects position of entire left shoulder girdle. Recently I attempted to deal with it by protracting that shoulder blade as much as possible and flaring that lat to expose the troublesome area, then applying a great deal of pressure with a hard rubber ball. It helped so much more than I expected!

Loosened up the area and got rid of the clicky knotted-ness. There is probably some up with the shape of that scapula so it will return, but it seems the fix is easy for when it does happen.

P.S sorry if this is not relevant to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    P.S sorry if this is not relevant to you!
    No worries. The description of what I have going on is pretty vague, so maybe not every reply is a solution for me, but might help someone else with a similar issue.

I did the first part of http://youtu.be/hzozw2Aso3M with the lacross ball last night at home and will try danradin's suggestion at the gym tonight.

I've never really found the ball to be too helpful for me, where I get sticky, but I'm sure it's different for each person. I'll shoot video of the barbell method today after I train.

Here's the video. Unfortunately the audio didn't come out but you can get the idea of what I'm saying. Work around the borders of the shoulder blade from different angles, holding each spot that's tender for at least 30 seconds (1-2 mins better). Press hard into the barbell, which should be weighted so enough that you can really dig in.
    http://youtu.be/n6OiNssCPyk

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the vid.

We don't have a Smith machine, but I thought I'd try with a barbell, and ended up not needing to.

The vid I posted had helped in really loosening up whatever was holding me back and was painfree after doing so on Tue night. I did this one more time preworkout (but on both sides) to make sure I was loose.

Afterwards, I was able to squat (light day) and press just fine. I also did chest supported row (EFS version), but those seemed to be pretty hard. Overall, I think I just have some muscle soreness to get over. I'm hoping to be good again by Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast