starting strength gym

Thread: Weird Nerve Injury

Default Weird Nerve Injury

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I was doing overhead squats yesterday (Sunday AM). Not heavy (95#), but in the context of a metcon so high reps and time constrained.

By my second set of 15 I was having a lot of difficulty keeping the bar overhead. I had weakness and an uncomfortable pulling sensation in my left arm. I was planning on doing 5 sets, but I bailed after set 3.

After I caught my breath, I noticed my skin was numb on my left forearm. In fact, it starts at the corner of my mouth on the left side and extends to my left thumb. It is most noticeable on the underside of my left arm.

I'm not in any pain, but it is certainly annoying and uncomfortable. I figured it would go away, but after 24 hours it has not improved.

Have you ever seen this kind of injury? In your opinion should I see a doctor/chiro about it?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Might as well do the chiro thing first. Sounds to me like a superficial nerve, but something caused the weakness. If it doesn't improve after the second adjustment, I'd think about a neurology consult.

Also, finish this sentence: "Not heavy (95#), but in the context of a metcon so high reps, __________________ , and time constrained."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Might as well do the chiro thing first. Sounds to me like a superficial nerve, but something caused the weakness. If it doesn't improve after the second adjustment, I'd think about a neurology consult.

Also, finish this sentence: "Not heavy (95#), but in the context of a metcon so high reps, __________________ , and time constrained."
    I'd like to take "Causes of Injury" for $500, Rip: What is "Poor Form"?

The pattern spans multiple dermatomes, likely multiple cervical vertebrae. Alternatively is it possible it's a mild stroke (if such could simultaneously affect motor/sensory nerves)?

I'd vote for the neurology consult first, IF they could nail down where the impingement/dysfunction occurred, so you can actually know what you're treating. Also there have been enough cases where people have suffered strokes shortly after chiro neck manipulation (presumably dislodging carotid plaque), to make me wary of chiro above the shoulders.

I'm not wary of it in a young athletic male at all. How many cases are in the literature?

...gratuitous?

Without doing a literature search, the cases I recall were probably middle-aged, not sure about their athletic level but more than likely moderately sedentary, just going by probability.

Rip, it's your forum, and I respect your opinion highly. Thank you for the honor of posting my concern which was "just in case"; I'm not going to argue the point other than to say that nerve injuries make me 'nervous' and I'd personally want to "debug" to the source of the problem as quickly as possible before long-term loss of function.

Having had neurosurgery, I agree that nerve injuries should make you nervous. But with experience comes an appreciation for appropriate caution, as opposed to a knee-jerk trip to the doctor.

starting strength coach development program
    The condition has improved considerably since Monday. The numb patch is only on my forearm now and it is more prickly feeling now and not completely numb. I was able to complete my Tuesday evening training which included heavy high pulls, push presses, and back squats without any issues. Haven't had a chance to see the chiro yet, and it doesn't seem like I'll need to at this point.

Still not sure what happened although I think I can rule out a stroke at this point.

Thanks for all the comments and advice,

Matt