starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technique - Reset - Adam Skillin

Default Technique - Reset - Adam Skillin

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Adam (and all), you have given me some pointers pretty recently one of which was allow my torso to be more horizontal. (nips pointing down etc..). I was having trouble with that even though my squat had gotten well into the 400's using the subpar method I am attempting to deload and restart using a proper SS model.

Old Technique:
    https://vimeo.com/115276321

New Technique:
    https://vimeo.com/117621942

Tell me what you think? Also how long do you think it will take to build back up to my recent ID 400x5? Should I run a standard LP or take more drastic jumps? 225x5 was pretty easy but still I noticed my lower back is not used to this position, neither is my glutes. I managed to squat 365x1 with this new technique but it was a fairly challenging rep which was surprising.

P.S. On re-watching for the nth time, is it possibly I was allowing my torso to travel TOO far horizontal?

Thanks all.
    Last edited by silachoo; 01-23-2015 at 02:46 PM.

I'd like to see a better angle, but I suspect you're taking these too deep and getting loosey-goosey in the hamstrings at the bottom.

Let's get that sorted out and then take our wild guesses and stabs at what kind of progression is appropriate.

Ok i'm going back to the gym after work to do some accessory, I'll take a better angle if I can get into this room. If I have to take it in the regular weightroom I may have trouble getting a better angle due to the location of the squat rack.
    Last edited by silachoo; 01-23-2015 at 02:52 PM.

I was trying to get my squat bottom position to look like this picture as I think this picture represents the method taught in the book pretty well correct?

Well, in the interest of pedantry, don't try to look like a particular guy unless he's your identical twin. Or anthropometric twin, at least. His angles will be determined by the models and his relative and absolute segment lengths, which are quite clearly different from your segment lengths (that's what she said...).

While that photo depicts a bottom position that's clearly below parallel, you are going 3" or so too deep. We want the most muscle mass possible involved in the lift, so we need to keep the hamstrings from slackening at the bottom.

I still believe that guy is Steve's (Sking's) evil twin.

Gotcha. I wasn't trying to argue, I hope I did not come across that way. At the very least, I think that picture is badass looking. If I go too low, that could possibly be why my back angle was little too horizontal, correct?

Also, mgilchrest, thanks for the input. I'll work on that more tonight. I'm gonna try to bang out a few more sets of 5 after work to hammer down this technique.
    Last edited by silachoo; 01-23-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Gotcha. I wasn't trying to argue, I hope I did not come across that way. At the very least, I think that picture is badass looking. If I go too low, that could possibly be why my back angle was little too horizontal, correct?
    I didn't think you were arguing, just trying to understand. I'm not trying to come off as a dick, just to correct what I see as minor misconceptions on your part. It's all good, in other words.

The horizontalness of your back will be determined (pretty much) by the position of the barbell on your back, and how far forward your knees go vs. how far back your hips are.

If you get the bar path vertical, the knees right, keep the spine rigid, and don't go so deep below parallel that you let the hamstrings slacken, the correct back angle will happen on its own, assuming the weight's heavy enough to force it to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Tell me what you think? Also how long do you think it will take to build back up to my recent ID 400x5? Should I run a standard LP or take more drastic jumps? 225x5 was pretty easy but still I noticed my lower back is not used to this position, neither is my glutes. I managed to squat 365x1 with this new technique but it was a fairly challenging rep which was surprising.
    New technique is much improved over old; nice job.

225's too low. I bet you could probably LP 3x5 these squats starting around 275-295, adding a light day and switching to 1x5x(5RM), 2x5x(90% of 5RM) when recovery becomes an issue. Transition back into TM after that's over.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I didn't think you were arguing, just trying to understand. I'm not trying to come off as a dick, just to correct what I see as minor misconceptions on your part. It's all good, in other words.

The horizontalness of your back will be determined (pretty much) by the position of the barbell on your back, and how far forward your knees go vs. how far back your hips are.

If you get the bar path vertical, the knees right, keep the spine rigid, and don't go so deep below parallel that you let the hamstrings slacken, the correct back angle will happen on its own, assuming the weight's heavy enough to force it to do so.
    I got another video friday night, i'll try to post it up after lunch today.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcnulty View Post
    New technique is much improved over old; nice job.

225's too low. I bet you could probably LP 3x5 these squats starting around 275-295, adding a light day and switching to 1x5x(5RM), 2x5x(90% of 5RM) when recovery becomes an issue. Transition back into TM after that's over.
    Ok sounds good. I'm gonna go do it at lunch. Since i'm trying to LP these back to my old numbers should I be starting light as to not stall early? I want to stress how "un-strong" I feel with this new technique. Although I do imagine I will gain strength quickly as my nervous system and musculature is used to much heavier loads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast