starting strength gym

Thread: Program order for a novice

Default Program order for a novice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Is it a good idea for a novice who finished SS to go straight to TM? Or would it be a better idea to give him (after finishing SS) a 12 week cycle of Bill Starr's madcow program first, and then switch to TM?

Thanks.

Describe what you have done, and what your starting / finishing stats are (weight, squat, dead, bench, press, etc) and age / height.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Describe what you have done, and what your starting / finishing stats are (weight, squat, dead, bench, press, etc) and age / height.
    This is not for me. This is a general question. Many novices approach me with the question of what should they do after SS and I was eager to hear the opinion of an SS coach on the matter.

By "finishing SS" I mean that a trainee is no longer able to add weight every workout and needs to switch to a weekly approach. Most of the people who ask me this question are about 16-25 years old and weigh around 135-180.
    How would a persons age/height/weight and stats affect your judgement?

Of course not. It's never for YOU, it's like Dear Abby... "Dear Abby, This didn't happen to me, but I was in the shower with a flashlight and..."

OK. Short answer, this is covered in PPfST. Novice ---> Advanced Novice ---> Intermediate program that works for you **which may or may not be TM***

Of course, you will, I mean, YOUR FRIEND WILL, fuck this up. Which is why we ask for stats.

So there you go, in the spirit of generality of your, errr, your friend's, request.

Of course not. It's never for YOU, it's like Dear Abby... "Dear Abby, This didn't happen to me, but I was in the shower with a flashlight and..."

OK. Short answer, this is covered in PPfST. Novice ---> Advanced Novice ---> Intermediate program that works for you **which may or may not be TM***

Of course, you will, I mean, YOUR FRIEND WILL, fuck this up. Which is why we ask for stats.

So there you go, in the spirit of generality of your, errr, your friend's, request.
    I think Supraspinatus is running TM right now, so it probably is for a friend.

On another note, a friend of mine was wondering if you could post your favorite kitten pic. This is for a friend of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I think Supraspinatus is running TM right now, so it probably is for a friend.

On another note, a friend of mine was wondering if you could post your favorite kitten pic. This is for a friend of course.

I guess I'm gonna have to read the book after all.
    And no, it's not for me. I don't even see a reason to why I would have to be ashamed of anything on the internet. I do see the point that I could have been wrong by randomly suggesting people a pre built programming order without taking their stats into account.

Thanks for the help Steve!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Supraspinatus View Post
    I guess I'm gonna have to read the book after all.
    And no, it's not for me. I don't even see a reason to why I would have to be ashamed of anything on the internet. I do see the point that I could have been wrong by randomly suggesting people a pre built programming order without taking their stats into account.

Thanks for the help Steve!
    You're welcome. It really is a highly individual question. Just remember that TM is not the only intermediate program in the known world.