starting strength gym

Thread: Maintaining squat strength while increasing power clean

Default Maintaining squat strength while increasing power clean

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Andy

I am doing a cut down version of the Texas Method. Saturday 5x5 squat and 5x5 press and Wednesday I do intensity squat, press and deadlift. This program has been great for me. My lifestyle and work commitments was making the standard TM too taxing. Progress on the squat, press and deadlift has never stalled since starting this program over 6 months ago. My problem is, I would like to return to power cleaning without adding a lot more volume. Can I reduce my squat volume and maintain my squat strength and add power cleans? My squat is 200kg and I'm happy with that, for the moment, but last time I cleaned it was around 90kg, which has probably reduced and I'm not so happy with that. Can I cycle from progressing in the squat to progressing in the clean or will I be continually loosing ground when I swap out one movement?
    I'm 35, 178cm and weigh 104kg.

Thanks

Hard to say until you try. I'm assuming you want to Power Clean on Saturday? How much volume were you thinking of cutting?

I was thinking of dropping a couple of squat sets and adding power cleans on Saturday.

For example

Saturday
    Squat 3x5
    Press 5x5
    Cleans 5x3

Sunday
    Squat 1x5
    Press 1x5
    Deadlift 1x5

I suppose its guaranteed that if I don't do 5x5 squat I will de-train, I was hoping of just maintaining my strength with 3x5. Anyway you are probably right I should just try and find out for myself or just toughen up and add cleans without dropping any volume.
    Thanks

There is no way to predict what will happen. 3 sets may be plenty of work to keep progressing. You'll just have to try and see. It's an easy enough modification to tinker with though. You could also try squatting for 4x6. Same volume, but one less work set does save you time. May have to drop weight a bit to accommodate 6s....but not much.